Frequently Asked Questions

Here are answers to some of the common questions we receive:

Where can I find out information about First Year Move-In Day for fall?

For Fall 2024 semester, move in day for new students occurs Friday prior to the first day of Fall Semester class.  Each year, some buildings are typically assigned to move in on Thursday in order to help reduce traffic congestion on campus.

Some students who are participating in a particular program (e.g. pre-semester programs, marching band, etc.) will move in early. These students will receive separate communication from the office that sponsors the program.

The Office of Residence Life has a great website full of helpful move-in planning info.  Visit the Move-In Website to learn more.

When do Second Year and Upperclass students move in?

For Fall 2024, official move-in day for second year and upperclass students is the Saturday or Sunday prior to the first day of class.  Move in can occur on either day that best meets the travel needs of the student.

What is the difference between Traditional and Standard halls?

Traditional rooms are located in residence halls such as Morris, Tappan, and Havighurst. These rooms are typically air conditioned and feature corridor bathrooms and community space. Standard rooms are located in our renovated and newer construction halls such as Etheridge, Bishop, and Hahne. These halls feature enhanced community and study spaces, completely new corridor bathrooms, new student room furniture, completely updated building systems, air conditioning and heating, and more.

What should I bring to campus?

  • Area rug (coordinate with roommate)
  • Bicycle
  • Umbrella
  • Shower Shoes
  • Shower Tote & Toiletries
  • Towels/Washcloths
  • Microwave (700 watts or less; shared microwaves also available in corridor kitchens)
  • High Efficiency Laundry Detergent
  • Clothes Hangers
  • Laundry Bag/Pop-up Basket
  • Bed Sheets, pillows and comforter
  • UL, CSA, or ETL Approved Power Strips with built in circuit breaker (likely not needed due to the # of outlets in the room)
  • Fan
  • First-aid Kit
  • Lamp
  • "S" Moulding Hooks
  • Adhesive Putty  (we recommend not using the blue putty as it can stain the wall)
  • Vacuum

What does Miami provide to students on campus?

  • Twin XL Bed in Residence Halls and Full-Size Beds at Heritage Commons
  • Desk and Chair
  • Dresser
  • Closet or Wardrobe
  • Mirror
  • Refrigerator
  • Towel Rack
  • Wastebasket/Trash Bags
  • Window shades
  • High-Speed Wired & Wireless Internet

What should I leave at home?

Due to the high risk of fire and damage in a communal environment, the following items are prohibited:

  • Candles/Candle Warmer
  • Coffeemaker (Keurig or Keurig-style single-serve coffee makers are permitted, heating element must be contained within the unit and atomically turn off when brewing is complete)
  • Personal Refrigerators are not permitted (we provide refrigerators for you)
  • Personal air conditioners are not permitted 
  • Electric Blankets or Sheets
  • Electric Skillets
  • Hot Plates
  • Air Fryer
  • Lofted Beds
  • Bed risers
  • Popcorn Poppers
  • Sun Lamps
  • Toaster Ovens
  • Water Beds
  • Non-Circuit breaker equipped extension cords
  • E-Bikes/Electric Skateboards (lithium battery safety hazard)
  • Please review the Regulations for On-Campus Living for more details.

What can I use to hang items on my walls?

  • S-Hooks (also called Moulding Hooks) and Removable Putty are typically acceptable for use when used and removed properly. Rooms include picture rail near the ceiling which is intended for the hooks.
  • Prohibited wall hanging materials include: Nails of any kind, Scotch Tape, duct tape, double-sided tape, 3M Hooks, staples, and tacks. These items damage the walls, and will likely result in repair charges on your account.
  • LED lights are not recommended for use in the residence hall rooms as the double sided tape used to attach them to the walls will cause damage resulting in damage fees.
  • Residents are responsible for any repairs/damages regardless of supplies used if damage results.

Are students charged for room damages?

Students are expected to be respectful of their on-campus room while living in the space, and to also leave the room in good condition upon move-out. After a student has moved out of their room, the Resident Director (RD) will complete a final room inspection. If furniture or other room damage is found during the inspection, then the students will be charged for the necessary repairs.

Are there elevators in the Residence Halls?

Elevator availability varies by hall. Many of our halls have elevators that are always open for general use. However, other halls have service (freight) elevators that are only available for use by students who have a medical need and are unable to use the stairs.

Who cleans the bathrooms?

Community/corridor bathrooms in our residence halls are cleaned regularly by Miami University custodial staff!  Residents in Heritage Commons, Miami Inn, and also students in select Residence Halls who have private bathrooms (as part of their room) are responsible for cleaning their own bathrooms. Private Bathrooms and Heritage Commons bathrooms are inspected at the end of fall semester, and charges may be incurred if they are in such a condition that they require excessive cleaning by our staff. 

When will incoming students find out where they are living?

Housing assignment information for incoming First Year students will be email to your Miami account in late July or early August.

Can incoming students request a roommate?

For incoming students, roommates are typically assigned based upon a mutual Living Learning Community preference. Students also have the ability to request a specific roommate if desired, but they must be requested no later than May 5. We are not able to accept additional roommate requests after May 5 as our team is working hard to process room assignments and match current requests.

Each year, about half of the incoming first year students request a specific roommate, and the other half allow the roommate matching to be based on mutual Living Learning Community preferences. Oftentimes, students feel like they have to request a specific roommate or they will "miss out." However, we like to remind students and families that this is not the case. One of the great benefits of our Living Learning Communities is that students know they will be matched up with someone who is coming in with a common interest!

Can incoming students request triple or quad rooms with specific roommates?

Our team will work to accommodate roommate requests to the best of our ability. The number of triple and quad room requests is typically greater than the number of available rooms. If we are not able to accommodate your roommate group in a triple or quad, you will be assigned into rooms near each other. For a triple room request we're not able to accommodate, one student will be placed with a random roommate.

How do incoming first-year students view the LLCs requested and confirmed roommate group information?

Login to the housing portal and review the Application Summary section of the contract.

How do returning students select their room for the following year?

Please visit our Room Selection website for more information!

How large are the residence hall rooms?

The size of our rooms varies from one residence hall to another, as a result of architectural differences. You can learn specific dimensions for your room online after you have received your housing assignment letter.

How do I learn about indoor environmental air quality at Miami?

Miami is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy living and working environment for faculty, staff, students, and visitors. This includes providing and maintaining acceptable indoor air quality throughout campus. Please visit this website to review helpful information about indoor air quality.

How do I learn more about Gender-Inclusive housing options?

Students at Miami University are assigned roommates of the same legal sex (male students with male students and female students with female students). However, the University recognizes that assignments based on this gender binary may not be the best option for all students. In cooperation with the Center for Student Diversity and Inclusion, LGBTQ+ Initiatives, and the Campus Services Center, the Office of Residence Life offers gender inclusive housing. Gender inclusive housing provides room assignment options that better affirms a student’s gender identity. For more information, visit our Gender-Inclusive Housing Website.

Is it necessary to purchase property insurance?

The University does not assume responsibility for the loss of money or valuables, damages to property or injuries on the premises. If the Student is not covered by a Parent/Guardian homeowner's insurance policy, it is strongly recommended that insurance arrangements are made to protect against such losses.

Are pets allowed?

Except for goldfish or other tropical fish, no pets are permitted in the Residence Halls. Tank size should not exceed 5 gallons, and aquarium heaters are prohibited.

How is mail delivered?

US mail will be delivered to locked mail boxes which are located in or near the lobby of each residence hall. Each room in the building will have its own box. Packages, large-sized items, and registered mail are delivered to the University Mailroom. You will be notified by email if you have a package to be picked up.

Mail should be addressed in the following format:
Student Name (Include Middle Initial)
Residence Hall Street Address (find street addresses here)
Residence Hall Name and Room Number
Oxford, OH 45056

Can university provided furniture be removed from rooms?

Due to campus storage space limitations, we cannot remove student room furniture. Students are discouraged from bringing their own furniture to campus. Typically, rooms can only safely accommodate the furnishings provided.

Can I park on campus?

We are happy to answer your parking questions! You can reach our Parking Customer Service area directly by calling (513) 529-2224. Before calling, be sure to check out the Parking Website.  It's full of helpful information about parking on campus, including maps, procedures, and the official Parking Policy. 

Do you provide disability-related housing accommodations?

We work in collaboration with The Miller Center for Student Disability Services to provide reasonable accommodations in the residence hall setting. If you feel that a disability-related housing accommodation is needed, please contact The Miller Center at (513) 529-1541 or email You may also visit their website at for more information.

Where can my parents stay when they come to visit?

The Marcum Hotel is owned and operated by Miami University. Located conveniently on campus, The Marcum offers guest rooms and suites, and all the comforts of home. Visit us online to make reservations today! Join Marcum's Parents' Club and receive 10% off each night that you stay.