Cash Advances

Cash Advances allow you to access travel funds in advance of your travel. This prevents from having to make appropriate travel purchases using your personal funds and allows you to access cash before you travel somewhere.

There are three methods for receiving a Cash Advance:

  1. Check or Direct Deposit
  2. Pre-paid Visa Debit Cards
  3. Bank transfer via Zelle (Intercollegiate Athletics Travel Only)

To request a cash advance, you will need to do the following:

  1. Create a request through Chrome River by creating a new Pre-Approval Report.
    1. If you want to receive cash through this pre-approval request, the “Cash Advance Amount” must be filled in with the same amount as your total to the full dollar amount.
  2. Completed and signed Cash Advance Agreement form must be attached to the Pre-Approval Report in Chrome River. Cash Advance via Zelle requires a Zelle-specific Cash Advance Agreement.
  3. Submit report. Cash Advances may be requested between 2 to 14 days in advance. Requests submitted more than 14 days before the start date of the travel will not be approved and may be returned. Cash Advance requests submitted within 2 business days before the start date are not guaranteed to be processed or received by the requestor by the start date. Adequate time must be given for appropriate review and processing.
  4. Once you have returned from your travel, reconciliation has to be completed through Chrome River as an expense report by adding the Cash Advance Tile from the eWallet.
    1. If there is money left over, it will need to be returned to the University by providing a check to the Accounts Payable Office (Roudebush Bldg, Room 107) and the AP Reimbursement Form must be completed. Please use fund 000000, and account 641005.
    2. Traveler will need to use the Cash Advance Return Tile in Chrome River and specify the amount of funds returned to the University. An image of the check has to be attached to this line of the expense report.
If you need assistance setting up the cash advance or for reconciling, please view the Travel and PCard Expenses System Training.

Human Research Subjects

If you need a cash advance to pay Human Research Subjects, learn more about Paying Human Research Subjects.