Newly Admitted Student Information

Information for Confirmed Students

1. Follow the instructions in your confirmation email

If you have received a confirmation email informing, be sure to follow the instructions. These instructions will guide you through the pre-arrival process. International students will also receive information regarding uploading your passport photo and requesting immigration documents for you to get your visa.

2. Fall Orientation information

Before making any arrangements to come to campus, you should confirm your expected date of arrival with your academic program since some programs provide an orientation that requires an earlier arrival date.  You will be required to attend the Graduate School Orientation (Monday, August 20, 2018). International students will also be required to attend the International Student Orientation.

Questions from Newly Admitted Students:

I have just been admitted, and want to register for classes, but don't know my Unique ID or Password, what do I do?

Go to the UniqueID Lookup website, this tool will assist you in looking up your unique ID. Additional instructions are available through IT Help. It will explain the default password and how to reset your password. If you still cannot register, please contact the IT Services Support Desk 513-529-7900. 

I am trying to register, but received the message "not in time slot or time ticket." What do I need to do?

You need to contact One Stop at or 513-529-0001.

What are some of the other reasons that I may not be able to register for classes?

You could have an Immunization Hold or Medical Hold.

If this is the case, you need to check with the Student Health Service to see if you need to provide information to them. Either way, they will have to remove the hold.

You could have a Final Transcript Hold.

If this is the case, you were admitted, "pending receipt of your final transcript." Students have until the end of their first term to provide a final transcript, and are unable to register for any further classes until it has been received. Final transcripts should be sent to: Miami University Graduate School/Room 102 Roudebush/Oxford, OH, 45056. 45056/Attn: Debbie Hansel.

I was previously admitted as Graduate Non-Degree student but haven't taken any classes for a while, do I have to re-apply?

Unless it has been more than 5 years since you have registered for a class, you do not have to reapply. However, you do have to re-enroll because the system automatically makes you inactive whenever a term is skipped. To re-enroll, go to the Re-Enrollment website to complete the form and submit it. You will be notified by email once you have been reactivated by the Registrar's Office. 

I started a Graduate Degree Program and have not taken classes for a while, but would now like to finish the program. What do I need to do? 

If it has been 2 years since you last registered for a class, you will have to re-apply to the program and pay the application fee. You will also need to contact the department to see if they require additional information from you.

I am a newly admitted graduate student who has been living in Ohio. Will I be considered an Ohio resident for tuition purposes?

To learn about residency requirements and to apply for Ohio residency for tuition purposes, please visit the OneStop website. If you would like to contact a residency officer directly, please send an email to

Questions from Newly Admitted International Students:

What information will be in my admission packet?

If you have already followed the instructions on your offer email and letter, you should receive your official admission packet soon. This packet will contain a printed copy of your official admission letter from the Graduate School, your visa documents (I-20 or DS-2019), as well as additional helpful information about your next steps and coming to campus. Please review the information carefully, since it covers issues such as securing your visa, obtaining your housing and planning your arrival at Miami. The Office of International Students and Scholar Services ( issues these packets and can provide assistance if you have additional questions or concerns.

What final documents do I need to submit?

You must submit final documents to the Graduate School before the end of your first academic semester. This includes: 

  • Original/Official copies of your transcripts (literal English translation and original language)
  • Original/Official copies of your degree certificates and certificates of graduation, if applicable.
  • Official English proficiency test scores. TOEFL scores need to be sent by ETS and our school code is 1463. IELTS scores need to be mailed to the Graduate School.

Failure to submit these final documents will result in a hold placed on your account, which will prevent you from registering for your second semester courses.

What if I am unable to submit my final transcripts or official score reports immediately?

We understand that it is often difficult to receive these documents before you arrive, therefore we recommend that you submit any additional items that have been requested of you to us as soon as they are available. It is also acceptable for you to bring these documents with you and submit them to the Graduate School after your arrival. Please note that failing to submit original or official copies of you the required documents will result in a hold being placed on your account, and you will be unable to register for your second semester courses until we receive them. If you are truly unable to secure an original or official copy of your documents, please contact the Graduate School at

Do I have to take any English placement tests when I arrive on campus?

New international students who have not earned a Bachelor's or graduate degree from another U.S. university or a university in an approved country where English is an official language are required to take a written English Placement Test (EPT) upon their arrival. The results of this test will determine whether or not you will be placed in the 3-credit hour English 119 (English for International Students) course during your first semester at Miami. You will receive an email from the Graduate School shortly before your arrival which will tell you whether or not you will be required to take the EPT.

Is there an English test for international students with Graduate Assistantships?

International students with graduate assistantships, specifically teaching assistantships, are required by state law to have their spoken English abilities assessed before they can be assigned instructional duties. This is done upon arrival by taking the Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) test. You must obtain a grade of pass or conditional pass before you can take on any teaching duties at Miami. Students who either receive conditional pass or fail on the SPEAK Test will be automatically enrolled in the ACE-G 619 course in their first semester of study. If you have been awarded a graduate assistantship, contact your department to determine whether or not you will have teaching duties. New students who hold graduate assistantships without teaching duties are not required to take the SPEAK Test.

The times to take the EPT and SPEAK Test are scheduled for you.You will be informed via your Miami email account of the dates and times. Please plan your arrival to campus accordingly. If you have any questions or a scheduling conflict, you can contact Tony Cimakso ( for the EPT and Daniel Meyers ( for the SPEAK.

I am a newly admitted graduate student who has been living in Ohio for a few years. Will I be considered an Ohio resident for tuition purposes?

International students in certain non-immigrant visa categories are eligible to apply for Ohio residency for tuition purposes. More information about Ohio residency and the residency application can be found on the OneStop website. If you would like to contact a residency officer directly, please send an email to