Skip to Main Content

Graduate Certificate Programs

Application Guidelines:

  • If you are a current Miami graduate (including a combined degree) student and are interested in a certificate, use the certificate form link
  • If you are not a current Miami graduate student and are interested in a Certificate, submit an online graduate application. Select "Graduate Certificate" on page 1, and pay the $20 application fee. 

Graduate Certificate Programs:

Contact the department sponsoring the certificate for admission requirements.

*Denotes degree-seeking graduate students only

Certificate Program FAQ

Application and Admission

How do I apply to a Graduate Certificate Program as a ...

  • Prospective Certificate student - Complete the Graduate School online application and on page 1 indicate interest in pursuing a Certificate.
  • Prospective Degree-seeking student - Complete the online Graduate School application and on page 1 indicate interest in a degree (Master's, Doctoral) program. After admission and confirmation, complete the Certificate Form indicating the Certificate of interest.
  • Current Degree-seeking student - Complete the Certificate Form located on the Certificate Website.
  • Current Non-degree or continuing graduate status (CGS) student - Complete the Graduate School online application and on page 1 indicate interest in pursuing a Certificate.
  • Current Certificate student -Complete the Certificate Form located on the Certificate website to apply for a different certificate.
  • Current Miami Combined Bachelor/Master's degree student -A combined degree student who has Graduate Status (see question below) can complete the Certificate Form to apply for a Certificate.

As a Combined Bachelor/Master's degree student, how do I request/obtain Graduate Student Status?

After completing all of the undergraduate requirements, including the minimum credit hours, a combined degree student can request Graduate Status by sending an email to the Graduate School at

Can an international student who requires an F-1 or J-1 visa from Miami University be admitted to a Graduate Certificate program only?

Yes, as long as your certificate program is full-time (at least 9 credits per semester) and offered primarily in person, Miami University can provide support for an F-1 or J-1 visa.

Can a student apply to more than one Graduate Certificate?

Yes. Once admitted and enrolled in a Graduate Certificate or a graduate degree program, submit a Certificate Form to apply to an additional certificate.

Can I apply to a certificate after I start a degree program?

Yes. As a matriculated degree student, you must submit the Certificate Form to apply to a Certificate.

Are endorsements, licensure, and certificates the same thing?

No. An Endorsement and licensure are not the same thing as a Graduate Certificate. For more information about licensure information, visit the Licensure website.

Current Certificate Students

What is the tuition for a Graduate Certificate?

For information about tuition rates, visit the One Stop Website. Students who are only completing a graduate certificate are not eligible for financial aid.

Some certificates (e.g., Advanced Studio Art, College Teaching) require students to submit materials beyond coursework prior to completion. How do I submit these materials so that I can earn the certificate?

Contact the Certificate Director to submit the required materials.

How long do I have to complete a certificate?

Students must complete the coursework and earn the Graduate Certificate within five (5) years. This limit applies to full and part-time Certificate students. (See Graduate Handbook Section 4.3A)

How many credit hours taken as a CGS/non-degree student can be applied to a Certificate?

Students may apply for up to 4 credit hours taken before being admitted to a Graduate Certificate. See Graduate Handbook Section 1.1.E.

How many courses taken as a degree student can also count towards a Certificate?

Once admitted to the Certificate, all classes taken as a degree student can also count toward a graduate certificate.

How do I withdraw from a Certificate program?

A student withdraws from the university or drops a program. To drop a certificate or a program, complete a Change of Major Form. To withdraw from the university, complete a Withdrawal Form. Both forms can be found on the Graduate School Student Resources webpage.

Will I have a DAR (Degree Audit Report) for the Certificate?

Yes. Once a student is admitted to a Certificate, the Certificate will be added to the student's DAR to track certificate requirements.

Can I complete a Certificate after I complete and earn a graduate degree?

Yes. Once enrolled in a degree and a certificate, a student can earn one and continue to complete the other.

Can I complete my Certificate before I complete my degree program?

If the certificate is offered as a stand-alone certificate (i.e., offered to non-degree-seeking students and degree-seeking students), then once courses are complete for the certificate the student can apply for graduation with the certificate and the Banner record will remain for the remaining degree program. However, if the certificate is not offered as a stand-alone certificate (i.e., only degree-seeking students can pursue the certificate), then the student cannot apply to graduate with the certificate until they have completed all degree requirements and applied to graduate with the degree as well.


How much is the Certificate graduation fee and when do I pay it?

Once the Certificate requirements are complete, the student must apply for graduation and pay the required $10 Certificate graduation fee.

If I complete a degree program and certificate, what is the graduation fee?

A student will pay the $10 Certificate graduation fee and the $35 Master's degree graduation fee (or the $200 doctoral degree graduation fee), if applicable.

Once the requirements are met, will I receive a printed certificate when I graduate?

Yes. Once your Graduate Certificate requirements are fulfilled and graduation is confirmed, a printed certificate is mailed to the student.

Will my completed Graduate Certificate be noted on my official Miami transcript?

Yes. Once a student is awarded a Graduate Certificate, it is listed on the top of the official transcript.

The Graduate School

The Graduate School is committed to advocating and supporting graduate programs dedicated to the pursuit of new knowledge and best teaching practices that promote diverse, globally aware graduate students and faculty.

Contact Us

501 East High Street
102 Roudebush Hall
Miami University
Oxford, Ohio 45056

facebook   twitter   instagram youtube Linkedln

Graduate Admission

Nellie Craig Walker Hall
301 S. Campus Avenue
Oxford, OH 45056