Frequently Asked Questions

Will my disability be considered in the admissions process at Miami?

Disability is a neutral factor in the admissions process at Miami University; it will neither help nor hurt you in getting admitted to Miami. In fact, Miami cannot legally ask about the presence of a disability prior to admission to the University. You are encouraged to plan a pre-admission visit to meet with the Admissions staff, as well as the Director of Student Disability Services (SDS) to make sure that Miami is the right fit for you. If you need a disability-related accommodation during the admission process, or to participate in a campus tour, please email Student Disability Services at

Once I have been admitted to Miami, whom do I notify about my need for disability-related accommodations?

Students who need accommodations in their academic program or their participation in University sponsored programs should contact the appropriate personnel on campus to discuss the registration process. Students with physical, medical, neurological, psychiatric or specific learning disabilities (including AD(H)D), as well as students with spectrum disorders are encouraged to contact Student Disability Services at (513) 529-1541.

Students on the regional campuses may find the representative for their respective campus under the "Resources" tab of the SDS webpage. You may disclose your disability at any time while you are a student at Miami, but remember that the accommodation process commences from the time of your self-disclosure.

What are the documentation requirements?

SDS may ask for documentation to support an accommodation request. If requested, the documentation should include the diagnosis, the onset of the disability, how the disability will impact you in the college classroom and setting, as well as any reasonable accommodations recommend by the health care provider. You can find SDS's documentation forms and guidelines under the "Eligibility" tab of the SDS webpage. Specific questions can be directed to the Director of Student Disability Services at (513) 529-1541.

Will the provisions of the IEP I had in high school be sufficient documentation?

Colleges and universities use IEPs and 504 plans to help understand the history of accommodations, and these documents may provide helpful information to what services were used in high school and may enable a smoother transition to the college setting. Ideally, IEPs as well as current documentation from your health care provider should be made available so that SDS can determine the most appropriate accommodation plan.

Is Miami campus accessible for wheelchair users?

Yes. Miami's campuses are accessible for wheelchair users, and accessible campus transportation is available as well. SDS works with Room Scheduling and the Registrar's Office as well to ensure the most accessible schedule. Advanced registration is available for students with disabilities that allows the individual more independence in crafting a schedule that best meets their needs. Accessible housing options are also available. 

What services are available for students who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing?

SDS works closely with students to arrange for sign language interpreters, CART services and note-takers. SDS works with local interpreting agencies to provide qualified interpreters, and the office has an in-house CART program for students who need captioning. Because CART is not a note-taking service, CART and interpreting may not be used simultaneously. Note-taking accommodations can be arranged by speaking with SDS's CART/Interpreting Coordinator. Find more information on this on the Accommodations tab.

Does Miami provide access to print materials for students who are Blind/Sight impaired?

Yes. SDS works closely with students to determine the best accommodation with regard to print material. SDS can provide materials in Braille, large print and E-text formats. Adaptive technologies are also available to ensure access to materials.

What resources are available for students with psychological disabilities?

SDS works with students with diagnosed psychological disabilities to provide accommodations recommended by their mental health care provider. Accommodations may include testing accommodations, advance registration and referrals to University and community counseling resources if requested.  SDS can also provide letters to instructors outlining accommodations while keeping specific disability information confidential.

Who do I talk to about services for AD(H)D/Specific Learning Disabilities?

Services and accommodations for students with AD(H)D / Specific Learning Disabilities are also available through Student Disability Services. Please check for information under the "Accommodations" tab on the website or call our office for more information.

Is tutoring available?

Tutoring (for all students) for a variety of subjects is available through the Rinella Learning Center and more information is available at Rinella offers study skills, academic coaching, and a variety of workshops as well. For more information about the workshop series or other academic support, please visit the Rinella Learning Center webpage.

Does Miami offer scholarships or financial aid based on disability?

No. While Miami does not offer financial assistance specifically for students with disabilities, the staff of the Office of Student Financial Assistance is happy to help students search out financial aid and scholarship information. Also financial and other assistance may be available through Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities (OOD). OOD is a state agency whose mission is to provide support to individuals with disabilities to help find the training needed to gain employment. OOD may assist with funding for tuition or books if the individual is eligible. 

How do I disclose my disability to professors and request accommodations?

If you choose to disclose to your professors and receive accommodations, SDS will provide you with a letter to present to your instructors. The letter will confirm that you are registered with SDS and will list reasonable accommodations recommended by SDS. When you give the letter to your professors, you should plan to meet with them during office hours to discuss the accommodations and make sure a plan is in place. This should be done at the beginning of the semester so that the expectations for all parties are clear. It is the student's responsibility to initiate this process and give the letter to your professors.

Because of the nature of my disability, I may miss some classes. What should I do?

If requested, and documentation supports the request, SDS will provide you with a letter to give your instructor that states that due to extenuating medical circumstances you may miss an occasional class due to circumstances related to your disability. For more information, please see the "Attendance and Disability" tab from the main menu.

Are temporary medical conditions covered by the ADA?

The University provides a number of services that an individual may benefit from in the event of a temporary injury. AccessMiami is available for accessible campus transportation, and arrangements can be made for assistance with tests if unable to write. Feel free to call SDS for more information.

Who do I contact if I feel I have been harassed or discriminated against on campus?

Miami University's Office of Equity and Equal Opportunity investigates all complaints of discrimination or harassment at the University, including issues involving disability. For more information, or to make an appointment to talk with an OEEO investigator, please call (513) 529-7157 (V/TTY). You may also contact the Office of Civil Rights in the U.S. Department of Education. OCR is responsible for enforcing Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act.