ASL Interpreter helping a student and professor communicate in class
Professor presenting a slideshow to his class
Guest speaker, Ken Petry, speaks at a past Access MU symposium to a large audience
The varsity hockey team glides across the ice with members of the Best Buddies Choir


The Office of the Provost provides a list of issues to consider when designing your course syllabus and also shares some best practices for ensuring accessibility.

A number of resources by other universities can also be found online, including the University of Minnesota's information on an Accessible Syllabus.

Do you have a student that needs accommodation this term or next?

Yes, I have a student that needs accommodation.

If you have a student that currently needs accommodation or you have been informed via letter from Student Disability Services (SDS) that a student will be needing accommodation in the upcoming term, you should work with an SDS Accommodations Coordinator (in Oxford, Hamilton, or Middletown) to provide ADA accommodations. It is expected that students will meet with their instructors to discuss accommodations. Both the student and the faculty share a responsibility to engage in necessary accommodation discussions (through the assistance of the SDS office) and to cooperate for development of a positive and reasonable accommodation experience.

Note: Do not provide accommodations based on a reported disability without the letter of accommodation from SDS.

No, I do not have a student that needs accommodation.

If you do not currently have a student that needs accommodation and you have not been notified of a student needing accommodation in the upcoming term, you can continue to use current materials and methods.

However, it is to your advantage to make all new materials accessible and remediate legacy materials over time. It can lower your risk of being unprepared for needed accommodations at a future date.

For more information, see the Faculty Guide for Persons with Disabilities.