Civic Summer Fellows
Civic Summer Fellows is a new, paid internship program providing Miami students opportunities to enhance civic knowledge and skills to work as leaders with local/regional communities, focusing on fields of education, non-profit, and social justice oriented community organizations.
Students will receive a $2500 scholarship contingent upon the successful completion of their summer internship. The scholarship will be applied to students’ bursar accounts.
Students with a record of interest in civic engagement and education-related fields, in the majors of Educational Studies (in EDL), Non-profit and Community Studies (NCS) and Social Justice Studies (SJS), and the Community Leadership (EDL) minor are eligible to apply.
Internships will be in organizations around central and southwest Ohio, but students can, with the program’s permission, develop internships elsewhere.
Civic Summer Fellows is a pilot project of the Department of Educational Leadership in collaboration with the Menard Family Center for Democracy.
Questions? Email knightk2@MiamiOH.edu
- Feb 3, 2023
- Applications are due.
- Submit your resume, statement of interest, and a DAR.
- Applicants will have a short interview.
- March 1, 2023
- Accepted Civic Summer Fellows notified.
- Internship placement process begins.
- March 27 – May 12
- Accepted students take EDL 383 (2 cr) as a spring sprint course (online hybrid).
- April 1, 2023
- All students placed into CSF internship sites, based on summer residential plans.
- Civic Summer Fellows work in their internships for 20 hours per week, meeting with the internship cohort weekly (virtually). The internship work may be virtual, in person, or both. Students enrolled in EDL 383 (1 credit). But all interns receive a scholarship for this credit hour covering the full cost.
- August 1
- CSF students will receive a $2,500 scholarship applied to their Miami bursar's account after the internship is completed.
Previous Internship Site Placements Include:
- Summit Educational Initiative (Akron, OH)
- Butler Tech (Butler County, OH)
- Montgomery County Educational Service Center/Learn to Earn Dayton (Dayton, OH)
- Educational Service Center of Central Ohio (Columbus, OH)
- Booker T. Washington Community Center (Hamilton, OH)
- Martha Holden Jennings Foundation (Cleveland, OH)
- College Now Greater Cleveland (Cleveland, OH)
- School Board School (Cincinnati, OH)
- UpSpring (Cincinnati, OH)
- Collective Spaces (Cincinnati, OH)
- North Chicago Community Partners (Lake Bluff, IL)
- Collegiate Directions (Bethesda, MD)
- He Is Me Insititute (Boston, MA)
- Project GRAD (Akron, OH)
If Selected as a Civic Summer Fellow
You Must Commit to:
- Enroll in EDL 383 (2 credits) as a late Spring 2023 sprint course (3/27-5/12) to prepare for the summer internship experience.
- Enroll in EDL 383 (1 credit) as a summer 1 term course (5/16 – 6/29)
- Devote 20 hours/week to your internship for the first 8 weeks of summer semester 2023 (the work may be in-person, virtual, or a combination of both)
How to Apply?
- Submit your application via this form by February 3, 2023.
- Within your application, be prepared to include the following:
- Statement of Interest