Enrollment Change or Withdrawal and Impact on Financial Aid

Award packages are based on full-time attendance for the fall and spring semesters. If a student drops to less than full-time enrollment, aid eligibility may be reduced. Typically, students must be enrolled at least six hours to be considered for most aid. Notify the One Stop of enrollment changes by emailing OneStop@miamioh.edu.

Title IV Withdrawal Consumer Information

Treatment of Title IV Aid When a Student Withdraws

The law specifies how your school must determine the amount of Title IV program assistance that you earn if you withdraw from school. The Title IV programs that are covered by this law are Federal Pell Grants, Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants, TEACH Grants, Direct Loans, Direct PLUS Loans, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs), and Federal Perkins Loans.

Though your aid is posted to your account at the start of each period, you earn the funds as you complete the period. If you withdraw during your payment period or period of enrollment (your school can define these for you and tell you which one applies to you), the amount of Title IV program assistance that you have earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula. If you received (or your school or parent received on your behalf) less assistance than the amount that you earned, you may be able to receive those additional funds. If you received more assistance than you earned, the excess funds must be returned by the school and/ or you.

The amount of assistance that you have earned is determined on a pro rata basis. For example, if you completed 30% of your payment period or period of enrollment, you earn 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. Once you have completed more than 60% of the payment period or period of enrollment, you earn all the assistance that you were scheduled to receive for that period.

If you did not receive all of the funds that you earned, you may be due a post-withdrawal disbursement. If your post-withdrawal disbursement includes loan funds, your school must get your permission before it can disburse them. You may choose to decline some or all of the loan funds so that you don’t incur additional debt. Your school may automatically use all or a portion of your post-withdrawal disbursement of grant funds for tuition, fees, and room and board charges (as contracted with the school). The school needs your permission to use the post-withdrawal grant disbursement for all other institutional charges. If you do not give your permission (some schools ask for this when you enroll), you will be offered the funds. However, it may be in your best interest to allow the school to keep the funds to reduce your debt at the school.

There are some Title IV funds that you were scheduled to receive that cannot be disbursed to you once you withdraw because of other eligibility requirements. For example, if you are a first-time, first-year undergraduate student and you have not completed the first 30 days of your program before you withdraw, you will not receive any Direct Loan funds that you would have received had you remained enrolled past the 30th day.

If you receive (or your school or parent receive on your behalf) excess Title IV program funds that must be returned, your school must return a portion of the excess equal to the lesser of:

  1. your institutional charges multiplied by the unearned percentage of your funds, or
  2. the entire amount of excess funds. The school must return this amount even if it didn’t keep this amount of your Title IV program funds. If your school is not required to return all of the excess funds, you must return the remaining amount.

If your school is not required to return all of the excess funds, you must return the remaining amount.

For any loan funds that you must return, you (or your parent for a Direct PLUS Loan) repay in accordance with the terms of the promissory note. That is, you make scheduled payments to the holder of the loan over a period of time.

Any amount of unearned grant funds that you must return is called an overpayment. The maximum amount of a grant overpayment that you must repay is half of the grant funds you received or were scheduled to receive. You do not have to repay a grant overpayment if the original amount of the overpayment is $50 or less. You must make arrangements with your school or the Department of Education to return the unearned grant funds.

The requirements for Title IV program funds when you withdraw are separate from any refund policy that your school may have. Therefore, you may still owe funds to the school to cover unpaid institutional charges. Your school may also charge you for any Title IV program funds that the school was required to return. If you don’t already know your school’s refund policy , you should ask your school for a copy. Your school can also provide you with the requirements and procedures for officially withdrawing from school.

Order of return of Title IV funds

A school must return Title IV funds to the programs from which the student received aid during the payment period or period of enrollment as applicable, in the following order, up to the net amount disbursed from each source:

  • Unsubsidized Direct Loans (other than Direct PLUS Loans)
  • Subsidized Direct Loans
  • Direct PLUS Loans
  • Federal Pell Grants for which a return of Title IV funds is required
  • Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant, for which a return of Title IV funds is required
  • FSEOG for which a return of Title IV funds is required
  • TEACH Grants for which a return of Title IV funds is required

A school must offer any post-withdrawal disbursement of loan funds within 30 days of the date the school determined the student withdrew. A school must always return any unearned Title IV funds it is responsible for returning within 45 days of the date the school determined the student withdrew.

If you have questions about your Title IV program funds, you can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FEDAID (1-800-433-3243). TTY users may call 1-800-730-8913. Information is also available on Student Aid on the Web at www.studentaid.ed.gov.

Enrollment Change Affects Financial Aid

Enrollment, for federal aid purposes, is “frozen” as of September 10, 2022 for fall semester and February 10, 2023 for spring semester. Federal aid will be recalculated based on these ‘frozen’ hours. Students are notified of any changes made to financial aid awards. Students can view their Financial Aid Offer by logging into Banner 9 Self Service - Financial Aid.

Federal Pell grant regulations require that students begin attendance in all courses. If a student withdraws, drops a course, or fails to earn a passing grade in a course, we rely on the instructors to provide proof that the student began attendance in the course. If we cannot obtain proof of attendance in a course, the student’s Pell grant must be recalculated based on the new enrollment level which excludes that course. This may result in Pell grant funds that have already disbursed being removed from a student’s account and creating a balance. Miami attempts to make all required reviews as quickly as possible, but the process may take weeks after the end of the term.

Official Withdrawal

If you withdraw from Miami prior to the 41st day (not including weekend days or holidays) of fall or spring semester, a refund of your fees will be calculated. However, you may be required to repay your financial aid and/or you may owe money to the University as a result of your withdrawal.

Miami University is required to determine the federal aid a student has earned as of the date the student ceased attendance based on the amount of time the student spent in attendance. The withdrawal date will be the date that official notification was provided to Miami of the student's intent to withdraw. The percent of federal aid that was earned by the student is equal to the percent of the semester that was completed, as of the withdrawal date, if this date occurs on or before completion of 60% of the semester. If the withdrawal date is after completion of 60% of the semester, the student will have earned 100% of the federal aid (assuming the student began attendance in all courses). 

Federal aid regulations may require Miami to return a portion of a student's aid to the U.S. Department of Education if they withdraw. Withdrawing will also affect Satisfactory Academic Progress and could put federal aid eligibility at risk. To learn about the possible impact on aid, students should consult with the One Stop before withdrawing from the University.

Unofficial Withdrawal

If a student stops attending classes and does not notify the One Stop that they are withdrawing, they are considered an unofficial withdrawal and a Return of Title IV withdrawal calculation must be done to determine the amount of federal financial aid the student has earned and the amount that must be returned to the federal government. This takes place once grades have been posted (usually at the end of the term) and the record shows that the student received a combination of F, I, N, W, and/or Y grades. We will attempt to determine the last date of attendance so that the calculation can be based on the last date the student attended. If a date is not determined, the calculation is based on the midpoint (50%) of the semester. Once the calculation is performed, a portion of federal aid may be rescinded from the student's account and returned to the federal government. This typically results in the student owing money to the University. Changes may also be made to the student’s state and/or university awards. A written notice is sent to the student after the adjustments have been made.