"My research has focused on mechanics of solids, particularly composite materials, and on engineering education. I published over sixty papers in national and international journals and conference proceedings.
I teach a sequence of engineering mechanics courses: statics, dynamics, mechanics of materials, and advanced mechanics of solids. My achievements in engineering education were recognized by many awards.
Recently I co-authored an interactive, web-based course in Engineering Statics, supported by grants from Hewlett Foundation and National Science Foundation. This open and free resource (part of Carnegie Mellon Open Learning Initiative) includes over 300 interactive exercises with individualized hints and feedback for students. A Learning Dashboard provides information on students’ learning in readily accessible form to instructors. The course has been used by thousands of learners from all over the world.
In summary, I strive that my teaching, research, and service complement each other and this synergy is compatible with Miami's mission of providing the students with the best learning experience."
OFFICE: Garland Hall, Room 56 E
- M.S. Mechanical Eng., 1978; Krakow University of Technology, Krakow, Poland
- Ph.D. Mechanical Eng., 1985; Krakow University of Technology, Krakow, Poland
Years of service on this faculty
- Professor, 2011-present
- Tenured Associate Professor, 2004-2011
- Tenure–track Associate Professor, 2000-2004
Other related experience
- Illinois Institute of Technology, Department of Mechanical, Material, and Aerospace Eng., Chicago, Assistant Professor, 1995-2000.
- Illinois Institute of Technology, Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Chicago, IL Visiting Assistant Professor, 1993-1995.
- Carnegie-Mellon University, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Pittsburgh, PA Research Consultant December, 1988-1993.
- Carnegie-Mellon University, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Pittsburgh, PA Postdoctoral Research Associate, September, 1986-1988.
Selected Journal Articles
- P.S. Steif, A. Dollár, Web-based Statics Course: Study of Usage Patterns and Learning Gains, Journal of Engineering Education, October 2009, pp. 321-333.
- A. Dollár, P. S. Steif, An Interactive, Cognitively Informed, Web-Based Statics Course, International Journal of Engineering Education, Vol.24, No.6, pp. 1229-1241, 2008; interactive paper at:http://www.ijee.dit.ie/OnlinePapers/Interactive/Dollar_Steif/StaticsCourse.html
- A. Dollár, P.S.Steif, Learning Modules for Statics, International Journal of Engineering Education Vol. 22, No. 2, pp 381-392, 2006; interactive paper at: http://www.ijee.dit.ie/OnlinePapers/Interactive/Statics/Learning-Modules-for-Statics-Dollar-Steif.html
- P.S.Steif, A. Dollár, Reinventing The Teaching Of Statics, International Journal of Engineering Education, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp 723-729, 2005
- A.Dollár, K. Meade, Modeling Pull-Out Test of Dental Implants, Biomedical Engineering-Applications, Basis & Communications, 15 (2003), p.133-142
- A.Dollár, S.Dymek, Microstructure and high temperature mechanical properties of mechanically alloyed Nb3Al-based materials, Intermetallics, 11 (2003), p.341-349
- A.Dollár, P.Steif, Cohesive Zone Approach to Interpreting the Fiber Push-Out Test, J. Amer. Ceramic Soc., 76 (1993) 897.
- A.Dollár, P.S.Steif, Y.C.Wang, C.Y.Hui, Analyses of the Fiber Push-Out Test, Int. J. Solid Str., 30 (1993) 1313.
- P.S.Steif, A.Dollár, Models of Fiber-Matrix Interfacial Debonding, J. Am. Ceramic Soc., 75 (1992) 1694.
- A.Dollár, P.S.Steif, Interface Blunting of Matrix Cracks in Fiber-reinforced Ceramics, J. Appl. Mech., 59 (1992) 796.
- A.Dollár, P.S.Steif, The Branched Crack Problem Revisited, J. Appl. Mech., 58 (1991) 584.
- A.Dollár, P.S.Steif, Stresses in Fibers Spanning an Infinite Matrix Crack, Int. J. Solid Str., 27 (1991) 1011.
- A.Dollár, Z.Kordas, Nonhomogeneous, Circular Thick-Walled Cylinders Under Nonuniformly Distributed Pressure Fully Plasticized at Failure, Mechanika Teoretyczna i Stosowana (Applied and Theoretical Mechanics), 28 (1990) 65.
- A.Dollár, P.Steif, A Tension Crack Impinging upon Frictional Interfaces, J. Appl. Mech., 56 (1989) 291.
- P.Steif, A.Dollár, Longitudinal Shearing of a Weakly Bonded Fiber Composites, J. Appl. Mech., 55 (1988) 618.
- A.Dollár, P.Steif, Load Transfer in Composites with a Coulomb Friction Interface, Int. J. Solid Str., 24 (1988) 789.
- A.Dollár, Effect of Material Inhomogeneity on the Shapes of Noncircular Cross-sections of Thick-walled Cylinder Fully Plasticized at Failure, Rozprawy Inzynierskie - Engineering Transactions, 31 (1983) 241.
Selected Conference Proceedings
- P. S. Steif, Marsha Lovett, A. Dollár, Quantifying learning from web-based course materials using different pre and post tests, Frontiers in Education, Seattle WA, 2012.
- A. Dollár, P. S. Steif, “Web-Based Statics Course with Learning Dashboard for Instructors”, IASTED Conference on Computers and Advanced Technology in Education, Napoli, Italy, 2012.
- P. S. Steif, A. Dollár, Relating Individual Student Usage Of Web-Based Learning Materials To Their Learning Progress, Proceedings of the ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, San Antonio, TX, 2012 (Mechanics Division Best Paper Award in session).
- A. Dollár, R. R. Ulseth, ,P. S. Steif, Blending Interactive Courseware Into Statics Courses and Assessing the Outcome at Different Institutions; Proceedings of the ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Vancouver, BC, 2011.
- A. Dollár, P. S. Steif, Using A Digital Dashboard For Learning To Blend Interactive, Web-Based Courseware Into An Instructor-Led Statics Course; Proceedings of the ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Louisville, Kentucky, 2010; (Mechanics Division Best Paper Award).
- A. Dollár, P.S. Steif, Web-Based Statics Course Used In An Inverted Classroom; Proceedings of the ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Austin, Texas, 2009; (Mechanics Division Best Paper Award).
Scientific and Professional societies
- Member, American Society of Engineering Education, 1997 – present.
- Chair, ASEE Mechanics Division, 2010- 2012.
- Chair elect and program chair, ASEE Mechanics Division, 2008 – 2010.
- Member, Executive Committee, ASEE Mechanics Division, 2004 – present.
- Member, ASME, 1994 - present
- Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, 2007-present.
Honors and awards
- Ohio Magazine Excellence in Education recognition, 2011.
- ASEE North Central Section Outstanding Teacher Award, 2011.
- University System of Ohio Faculty Innovator Award, 2011.
- Miami University E. Phillips Knox Teaching Award, 2006.
- School of Engineering & Applied Science Outstanding Teacher Award, 2004.
- Commencement Speaker, Department of Mechanical, Material and Aerospace Engineering, IIT, 2001.
- Polish Women 2000 (Polki 2000), 2000.
- Julia Beveridge Award (IIT), 2000.
- University Excellence in Teaching Award (IIT), 1998.
- Barnett Excellence in Teaching Award (MMAE Department IIT), 1996.
Institutional and Professional Service
Miami University (selected examples)
- Member, Advisory Council for the Center for American and World Cultures, 2012-present
- Advisor, Miami University chapter - Society of Women Engineers, 2001–2003, 2010-present
- Member, Committee for the Enhancement of Learning and Teaching (CELT) and Senate Liaison, 2006-2007, 2008-2009.
- Member, University Senate, 2004–2007.
- Chair, SEAS Teaching Award Committee, 2005 – 2010.
- Invited lecturer, Academic Preparation and Culture Program (APCP), 2008, 2009.
- President (2005-2006) and Executive officer (2002-2007), Performing Art Series Advisory Board.
- Member, Graduate School Academic Achievement Assistantships Committee, 2005-2006.
- Member, Harassment / Discrimination Review Panel, 2003-2006.
- Member, First in 2009 Coordinating Council, 2002–2004.
- Member, University Enrollment Planning Steering Committee, 2000–2003.
National (selected examples)
- Invited speaker/panelist, Active/Self-directed Learning, National Academy of Engineering (NAE) Frontiers of Engineering Education workshop, 2011.
- Invited panelist, Implications of Educational Research in Research Dossier and Tenure & Promotion; Panel Discussion on Fostering the Implementation of Best Practices, ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Vancouver, BC, June 2011.
- Invited speaker/panelist, Systematic Formative Assessment, main plenary session at the ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Vancouver, BC, June 2011.
- Reviewer for ASEE, FIE, ASME, International Journal of Engineering Education, International Journal of Solids and Structures, ECS Pearson Prentice Hall, Wiley & Sons Publishing Company, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company.
- Session Chair: FIE, CATE, ASEE, ASME, International Conference on Mechanical Behaviour of Materials, Switzerland, 9th International Conference on Composite Engineering, San Diego, 6th Annual International Conference on Composite Engineering, Florida, 13th U.S. National Congress of Applied Mechanics