Frequently Asked Questions

General Application Questions

The following information provides frequently asked questions that students ask while they are in the process of applying or have submitted an application.

Where can I find more information about different graduate programs? 
To see the graduate programs offered at Miami University visit our Academics webpage. If you need further information, contact the appropriate department/program.
I want to take graduate level classes, do I have to apply, or can I just register?
Interested students must apply and be admitted to a graduate degree program or apply as a non-degree seeking (CGS) student.
What is the fee for applying?
The fee for graduate non-degree is $20, and $50 for a graduate degree program. Please note: the application fee is non-refundable.
What items does the Graduate School require when applying for a graduate degree program?
Required items are as follows:
  • application and application fee (paid online with a credit card or electronic U.S. check)
  • a PDF of your official or unofficial transcripts from the bachelor degree-granting school and all schools attended after completing the bachelors degree
  • a copy of the green card (if applicable)

All other items required by the department should be uploaded when completing the application or sent directly to the department. If you are admitted, you must have an official copy of your bachelors degree transcript sent to the Graduate School in order to register for classes.

What is the minimum grade point average (GPA) that is required for admission to the Graduate School?

The Graduate School minimum undergraduate grade point average is 2.75 out of 4.0. Some graduate programs may have higher GPA requirements for admission consideration.

If you were educated outside of the United States, an equivalent U.S. grade point average will be calculated for you as part of the application review process. We do not require applicants to submit credential evaluations, such as WES or ECE.

Do I need to take the GRE/GMAT/MAT?

The GRE, GMAT, or MAT may be required by individual departments or programs. Most programs do not have minimum score requirements, instead test scores are viewed as one factor in the context of a student's overall application file. Because these tests are required by departments rather than by the Graduate School, contact your program of interest for more information about minimum or average GRE, GMAT or MAT test scores for admitted students. If you take the GRE test and want to send us your official test scores, you can use our Institution Code: 1463. 

What are Supplementary Materials?

Supplementary materials are additional application items that may be required by a department. You should upload these with your online application, if possible. The following are the most common supplementary materials:

  • Personal Statement: This is a 2-3 page essay that should explain why you want to pursue a graduate degree. You should list your specific area of study or research and list the name(s) of faculty members with whom you would like to have as an advisor. You should also indicate how you plan to use the knowledge, skills, and degree earned in this program in your future career.
  • Curriculum Vitae/Resume: A document that describes your professional, academic, personal or other related experiences. It should include the names of the schools you attended with the degrees you earned, the names of your previous and present employers with the positions you held and the dates you were employed, awards you have won, publications, presentations, hobbies/interests and any other skills.
  • Letter of Recommendation: These are letters written by individuals who are familiar with your academic or professional work. This includes former professors, colleagues, or supervisors. Family members and personal acquaintances should not be used as recommenders. These letters should convey the relationship between you and the recommender, why they believe you are a good candidate for the graduate program, and what notable skills or academic strengths you possess.
  • Portfolio: A portfolio should include examples of undergraduate and/or graduate/professional work. This can include design projects, studio arts, photography, film, musical compositions, scripts, theatrical reviews, creative writing, or architectural projects. The portfolio should include work that demonstrates creative accomplishments.
  • Audition: A sample of a musical or theatrical performance. While a live audition may be requested, you may also submit auditions digitally through email as well as through the post mail. Acceptable mediums include (but are not limited to): mp3 files, .avi files, CDs, DVDs, YouTube videos. Please contact your academic department to discuss which format is most appropriate for your submission.
I am applying to two graduate programs, do I need to submit 2 different applications?

Yes, you have to fill out an application for each degree program and pay the $50 application fee for both. 

I am filling out a second application, and I am unable to choose the same terms as my first application. What do I need to do

Since only one application can be entered in a term, you will need to pick a different term, so you can submit the application. Once it has been submitted, contactApplyGrad@miamiOH.ed and indicate what term you put on your application and what term you will need it changed to.

When will the application for the upcoming school year be available?

The application will be available in September each year. 

How can I be considered for a graduate assistantship or other financial assistance from Miami University? Are additional application forms required for this?

The Graduate School does not require that students submit forms in addition to the application for admission in order to be considered for financial assistance. However, some departments may require additional information and documentation for assistantship consideration. Therefore, check with your program of interest to determine what documents must be submitted in order to be considered for a graduate assistantship. For more information about current costs and financial assistance, visit the One Stop Website.

While filling out an unsubmitted application, I have entered incorrect information and can't change it. What should I do?

You will need to contact CollegeNet at and they will fix the incorrect information

I made a mistake on my submitted application. Can I go back in and change it?

No. Once you have submitted the application, it cannot be changed. You need to email and indicate any needed corrections.

Where should I send updated application materials after I submitted my application? 
Transcripts should be sent to the Graduate School at Any other application materials (i.e. resume, personal statements, etc.) should be sent directly to the academic department you are applying to. 
Are there any application fee waivers when applying?
If you are eligible, there are three fee waivers available.
    • Fee waiver #1: - You have earned a graduate degree (masters or higher) from Miami University and previously paid the application fee.
    • Fee Waiver #2 - If you have earned a graduate degree (masters or higher) from Miami University and are applying to take classes as a non-degree student.
    • Fee Waiver #3 - If you are a McNair Scholar (you must send documented verification) and are applying to a graduate degree program at Miami University.
How can I check the status of my application?
You can check the status of your application by logging in to the Student Application Portal and select "Review your Activity." From there, you can view your application checklist.
How long does it take to find out if I am admitted or not?
There is no set time limit. It depends on when you apply and submit your required documents to the Graduate School. Factors include: when it is processed and sent to the department; when they receive all required items from you (test scores, statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, essay, etc.); when their committee meets and makes the decisions, and when they return the decisions to the Graduate School. After a decision has been made, you will receive an email with the decision. 
How can I check the status of a letter of recommendation?
Log into your Student Application Portal and select "Manage your Account." You will see your recommenders names listed and their status. On the right, there is an "Actions" dropdown where you can send an email reminder.
Can I change my recommender(s) after submitting my application?
Sometimes. Log into your Student Application Portal and select "Manage your Account." You will see the status of your recommender(s). If the status is "has not started yet," on the right under "Actions" you will see an option to "edit/change this recommender." Once a recommender has started their letter, the option to edit/change is no longer available.
Why is my credit card being rejected?
One reason could be your permanent address entered on the application does not match the mailing address for the credit card. If you have any difficulty, confirm the addresses match.

 Domestic Application Questions

The following information provides frequently asked questions that domestic students (U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents) ask while they are in the process of applying or have submitted an application.

I am a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident, how do I apply to the Graduate School?
You need to submit the Domestic Application. The application fee must also be paid before the application is considered complete. Permanent Residents will be asked to upload a copy of their green card along with the application.
I have applied for my Resident Alien Card (green card), but have not received it yet. Should I compete the international application or the domestic application?
As long as you have applied for Permanent Resident Status, you should complete the domestic application. You will be required to upload a copy of your green card if you have one, or a copy of the application showing you have applied for it.

International Application Questions

The following information provides frequently asked questions that international students (students who will have a F or J visa, or are currently in the United States on a non-immigrant visa) ask while they are in the process of applying or have submitted an application. 

I am not a U.S. Citizen. Should I complete the International Student Application for Graduate Admission?
You should complete the international application if you are:
  • Intending to enter the US on an F (student) or J (exchange student or scholar) visa
  • Currently in the US on a nonimmigration visa status.
How can I be considered for a Graduate Assistantship or other financial assistance from Miami University?

You can indicate that you are interested in being considered for a graduate assistantship on the graduate school application; no additional application is required. Some departments may require additional information and documentation, therefore check with your program of interest to see what documents must be submitted in order to be considered for a graduate assistantship. International students who are offered admission, but are not offered an assistantship  will be considered for an international Grants-in-Aid (86% tuition waiver) at the recommendation of the graduate program. Graduate Assistantship and Grant-in-Aid recipients MUST be able to provide financial affidavits to prove that they can pay for the remaining costs of tuition/fees and living expenses. More detailed information about current costs is located under Tuition and Fees on the One Stop website. Additional information on financial assistance is available in the Admissions section of the Graduate School website under Fees and Financial Aid.

The language of instruction where I completed my Bachelor's degree was English. Do I still need to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score with my application?

Students who have earned a degree from a country or institution where English is the official language are exempt from submitting proof of English proficiency. A list of approved countries which allow for a waiver of our English proficiency test can be found on English Language Proficiency webpage.

What are the minimum English test scores that are required for admission? 
  • TOEFL iBT 80, pBT 550
  • IELTS 6.5
  • PTE 54
How can I submit my official English Language Proficiency Scores? 
For TOEFL scores, you can use our ETS Institutional Code 1463.

For IELTS scores, you should provide the following information when you request your scores from the testing centers:

Miami University - Graduate School
501 E. High Street
102 Roudebush Hall
Oxford, OH 45056

If I don't meet the minimum English requirements, can I apply for Conditional Admission?

Yes, conditional admission is available for some graduate programs.

Non-Degree Seeking Application Questions

The following information provides frequently asked questions that non-degree seeking applicants (people who are currently at Miami University and want to take graduate level courses but not enroll into a degree program).

What items are required by the Graduate School if I am applying for a graduate non-degree?
We need the application, application fee (electronic online, or check or money order sent with paper application), and a copy of the green card (if applicable).
How many graduate credit hours taken as a graduate non-degree student can be transferred into my degree program?
Up to 12 graduate credit hours taken as a graduate non-degree (CGS) can be transferred into a graduate degree program.
As a non-degree seeking applicant, are all graduate courses open for me to enroll in?
It depends. Some programs allow non-degree seeking students to take any course. For others, you may have to contact the department. 

Combined Degree Student Application Questions

The following information provides frequently asked questions that current Miami University undergraduate students ask while they are in the process of applying to a combined degree program or have submitted an application.

How do I apply for the Combined Bachelors/Masters program?
There is a check box on the application to mark if you plan to apply for the combined Bachelor/Masters program. For additional information on the combined Bachelors/Masters program, contact the department/program in which you wish to pursue a degree in or visit the Combined Degree webpage.
I am a current Miami University student. How do I get a PDF of my unofficial transcript to upload in my application?
Log into BannerWeb and go to your "Student Academic Transcript". Right click on the screen and click on "Select All". Copy (Control+C). Open a new Word document and paste (Control+V) the text into the Word document. Select "Save As." Name the document using your name, and in the "Save Type" box, select PDF(*PDF). This will save the documents as a PDF. Upload this file into your Graduate School application.
I have Miami University transcripts, do I still need to send them to the Graduate School?
Yes, you can upload a PDF of your transcript when you complete the Graduate SChool application.