Applying for Graduation
Students should apply for graduation the semester before degree requirements are complete. The deadlines to apply for graduation can be found on the Commencement website. The graduation application is a degree requirement that must be completed before the degree is awarded. Students who are finishing incompletes, have transfer work pending, or depositing thesis/dissertations should still submit the application for graduation by the appropriate deadline.
How to Apply for Graduation
Complete the graduation application for each degree to be received (ie: Bachelor of Science in Business and Bachelor of Arts). A fee will be assessed for each degree.
Complete the graduation application by following these steps:
- Login to BannerWeb (found through MyMiami)
- Select “Student Services & Financial Aid”
- Select “Student Records”
- Select “Apply to Graduate”
- Select the most current curriculum for the graduation application
- Do not apply for graduation if the curriculum information is not correct; contact your academic advisor
- Follow the online instructions as you continue through the graduation application process
- Log off BannerWeb and MyMiami
After You Apply To Graduate
Within one business day of applying for graduation, your academic record will be updated to reflect the graduation date noted on the graduation application. An application fee will also be applied to your bill:
- One-Year Certificate: $10
- Associate Degree: $35
- Baccalaureate Degree: $35
- Masters Degree: $35
- Specialist Degree: $35
- Doctoral Degree: $200
Other important steps to take after applying for graduation:
- Review your DAR and consult with your division/department to ensure you are on track to meet degree requirements. Students in the Graduate School must abide by the deadlines set by the Graduate School. Contact your advisor with any questions and to verify all paperwork has been turned in, and review the deadlines for the Graduate School.
- If you have an incomplete grade, contact your instructor to ensure a final grade is submitted.
- If you are in a thesis/dissertation program and have additional questions, please contact gradschool@MiamiOH.edu or (513) 529-3734.
- Refer to the Commencement website for information concerning the commencement ceremony.
- If you are an international student and need an official letter in order for your family to apply for visas to attend graduation, email commencement@MiamiOH.edu from your Miami email account. Include your name, a brief description of type of letter needed, names and relationship (mom, dad, etc.) of all family members needing the letter, and how you would like to receive the letter (email, sent via postal mail to local address, or both). Please note that the letter will not be mailed to an international address. Letters are usually sent within 1-2 business days of the request.
Re-applying for Graduation
Your graduation application will NOT automatically move to a future graduation if you do not complete degree requirements. If you have applied for graduation and realize your degree requirements will not be completed, contact the Office of the University Registrar immediately at Commencement@MiamiOH.edu. Failure to notify the Office of the University Registrar concerning re-application for graduation may result in your degree not being awarded. After contacting the Office of the University Registrar, you must reapply for graduation via BannerWeb.