Course Registration

Step 1: Review your DARS

Early in the semester, review your DARS and make sure your major(s), minor(s) and thematic sequence are listed correctly. If they do not appear or if they are incorrect, this may affect your ability to register for the appropriate courses.

Declaring/Changing Major, Minor, or Thematic Sequence

For information on declaring a major, minor, or thematic sequence within the College of Arts & Science, please go to the CAS Academic Advising & University Studies Office (146 Upham Hall), during business hours.

Step 2: Find Out When You Can Register

All students are assigned a specific registration time, known as a registration window. The Registrar assigns registration windows according to earned credit hours. You can find your earned credit hours by looking at the "Undergraduate Summary to Date" section on the last page of your DARS.

Step 3: Choose Your Courses

It is important that you know how to access information on specific courses and any pre-requisites that might exist. The registration system may allow you to register for a course without having fulfilled necessary pre-requisites.

  1. Review course offerings on BannerWeb or Course List.
  2. Make a list of courses for which you plan to register.
  3. Meet with your faculty and divisional advisors to discuss your registration plan and progress toward your degree.

Step 4: Register Online

Register online during your assigned registration window. During your initial registration window, you will be able to register for 17 hours. During open registration, you will be able to register for up to 20 hours.

For additional information, please check the One Stop.

Changing Your Course Registration

You can change your course registration in BannerWeb during your registration window and during the open registration period.

Adding a Course

If you wish to add a course that is closed, you must obtain special permission. Some courses are added at the department level, while others are decided by the instructor. This process, more commonly known as a force-add, is completed using a Change of Schedule form.

Note: Several CAS departments are piloting the Registration Override Request (ROR) system that will ultimately replace the current force-add process.

You might want to start by calling the specific department first to see what process they use. If it is up to the instructor, s/he must sign the form and then you must submit it to the Office of the Registrar in the Campus Avenue Building.

If you wish to add a class after the first week, you must submit a Change of Registration form to the Registrar with the signatures of the instructor and department chair.

Dropping a Course

If you stop attending a class, it is not the same as dropping it. You must take action to drop the course and work with your instructor to get this done. However, before deciding to drop a course, we recommend that you consult the instructor and your academic advisor to discuss the implications. There are very specific deadlines that dictate the consequences of dropping a course. Dates and deadlines vary between full-semester and sprint courses.

Note: Please consult the academic calendar for official withdraw deadlines.

More Information