Language Placement

Windows Computer Lab of the ILRC Windows Computer Lab of the ILRC
Windows Computer Lab in the ILRC Windows Computer Lab in the ILRC
 The ILRC Lounge Area  The ILRC Lounge Area
 Students at work in the ILRC  Students at work in the ILRC
 Irvin Hall in the Fall  Irvin Hall in the Fall
Student in the Windows Lab Student in the Windows Lab
Student working on Japanese Project Student working on Japanese Project

Students who are contemplating enrollment into foreign language courses and have taken a foreign language prior coming to Miami are highly encouraged to take a language placement exam before enrolling in any courses.

The language placement exam gives you a current assessment of your language proficiency and will place you into a language course that will most likely fit your current competence and knowledge of your language. Exam results are usually accurate for up to six months. If you have taken the test but not enrolled in a language course in a timely manner, you should retake that language placement exam again to get a current placement.

If you anticipate or experience a disability related barrier to accessing the language placement test, please contact the Miller Center for Student Disability Services at or (513) 529-1541 to request reasonable accommodation. The online tests are untimed. Tests in French, German, and Spanish may have audio or video as part of their test components.

What languages are available?

Computerized language placement tests are available in the following languages:

What about other languages?

For languages not listed above, the respective language advisors have given some initial guidelines and advice for placement in the following language pages.

We recommended that you talk to a language advisor prior to enrolling in a language course in addition to viewing the basic guidelines and advice given here. The language advisor of each language would be able to interview briefly and recommend a best placement based on your written, spoken, listening, literary, and cultural competence.

Guidelines and Advice Department
Department of German, Russian, Asian, and Middle Eastern Languages & Cultures
Department of French, Italian, and Classical Studies
Department of Spanish & Portuguese

Frequently Asked Questions

Does American Sign Language (ASL) count as a language at Miami?

Yes it does! The Department of Speech Pathology and Audiology (SPA) offers ASL courses and by passing SPA 202 - Intermediate American Sign Language II - you will be able to meet your CAS-A language requirement. All placement assessments for American Sign Language are conducted within the SPA department by a full time instructor. Students will be assessed based on their receptive/expressive knowledge of conversational vocabulary as well as appropriate grammatical features. All students wishing to complete the assessment should contact Mrs. Megan Gross via email to schedule an appointment.

What if I want to start with a new language?

Students may start a new language if desired; there is no requirement that the previously studied language must be pursued or continued. Students beginning a new language, except Spanish, should enroll in a course numbered 101 in the desired language and do not need to take a placement exam. Students wishing to begin Spanish at the 101 level will need to check specific instructions on the Spanish Language advisement page.

What do I do if I can't get my current placement?

If you have taken the placement test and for some reason cannot access your placement test scores, please contact Daniel Meyers at (513) 529-2510 or and he will look up your results from the placement testing database. Be sure to give your full name, your uniqueID, and the approximate date when you took the placement test so as to find your results quickly.

Can I get my results later after taking the placement exam?

Yes! there are two ways you can access your test results:

1) Log back in to the language placement testing database at with your UniqueID and MUNet password. Scroll down and you will see any past tests taken with your raw score and suggested placement.

2) Log in to BannerWeb at with your UniqueID and MUNet password. Click on the tab for "Student Services & Financial Aid," then click the link for "Student Records" and then "View Test Scores." Both language placement test and math test results are available via this screen.

Can I get academic credit for taking a language placement exam?

No. Foreign language course credit is only awarded through transfer from another college or university, through Advance Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate Program (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and by completing course work.

If I place into a level, can I just skip to a higher or lower level to meet the language requirement?

In order to "get a better grade," or "to make up for a deficient high school experience," starting a language sequence below the level of testing advice should be avoided; it wastes your time, credit hours, and money. Review courses are available for that purpose. If you really feel that your placement is inaccurate, you will need to speak to a language advisor first in order to receive permission to force-add into a course other than what you placed into. Wherever a student starts in a course sequence, the usual course sequence (101-102-201-202) may not be interrupted until completion of 202. Courses in the sequence may not be skipped. Completion of a course numbered 202 or higher (not in translation) with a passing grade fulfills the College of Arts and Science language requirement (CAS-A Foreign Language).

Can I take the test more than once?

Unless you experienced a computer problem or had issues regarding accessing the exam, you will not be allowed to test multiple times. If you feel that you need to retake the test, we recommend that contact the chief departmental advisor for your language (contact info given at the bottom of each language guidance page) and explain your situation in detail. The department advisor or placement test office will asses your situation and then recommend whether or not you should be allowed to retake an assessment.

I have taken a language throughout high school but I am not sure I am required to take it at Miami. Should I still take the placement test?

If you are going to be in the College of Arts and Science, you will have a language requirement (CAS-A) that should be completed as quickly as possible before your major and minor courses take over your schedule. If this is the case, then you should take the placement test in your language and see where you place. Then register for the course you placed in and follow through the course sequence until you meet the CAS-A requirement (passing the 202 level or taking a 300 level course and passing it).

If you are in the Farmer School of Business, College of Creative Arts, or College of Education Health & Society, then you may have to take a language course depending on your major’s requirements and what you are studying. If that is the case, then then you should take the placement test in your language and see where you place. Then register for the course you placed in andcontinue with courses until you meet the major’s recommendation or requirement.

If you are in a college where no language requirement is needed and you are not planning on continuing with your language, then you do not need to take the placement test and you will not register for language courses.

If you are undecided on your major or path as you enter Miami, we recommend that you still take the placement test. That way if you switch colleges or majors in your first year, you will have a fairly current placement. However, if you change things up in your Sophomore, Junior, or Senior years, then we recommend that you retake the placement test to get an accurate level based on your current proficiency and retention of the language. After six months, the test results will be fairly unreliable and we encourage students to retake the test just before registering so they know where they currently stand.

What if I am fluent in a language that Miami does not teach?

If you are fluent in a language that Miami does not teach, there are procedures in place to verify your language proficiency. The first thing you will need to do is to contact the College of Arts and Science Advising Office to discuss what must be done to set up your oral and written proficiency evaluation. Miami will not award academic credit for testing out of a language in this manner, but you will meet your CAS-A language requirement for graduation. If you are interested in pursuing this option, please do this early in your time at Miami; this way, if you are not found proficient that you have time to complete the requirement by taking classes.