Master of Music in Performance
The Miami University Department of Music offers one graduate degree, the Master of Music in Performance (MM). This degree is ideal for those interested in designing their own career path beyond the university or for those desiring a traditional course of music study with the understanding that the world of music is rapidly changing.
Students will be able to gain skills in research, music-making, and artistry and learn how these skills are used in a real-world global economy including performing arts and currents for social change. The degree program consists of four individualized tracks of varying credit hours.
- Strings (39)
- Piano (39)
- Voice (41)
- Woodwinds, Brass, and Percussion (37)
All tracks include a Signature Blueprint Portfolio, which defines the student’s purpose of study. In addition, the Threshold Performance project transitions students into professional life outside of Miami by performatively showcasing their Signature Blueprint. Beyond these two main components of the degree, students are supported by attentive academic advising, performance opportunities, off-campus experiences, and important campus centers for learning, teaching, and writing.
- To apply to the Master of Music in Performance degree program, you must have completed undergraduate courses equivalent to a bachelor's degree in music performance.
- You must submit to the Department of Music
- A brief statement describing the personal and professional objectives to be served by a master's degree from Miami University.
- Letters from three people recommending your admission to graduate study in music.
- Finally, you must complete a successful audition in the major instrument or voice. More information may be found on our Auditions page.
- If you are unable to audition in person, you may upload a video of your audition via Acceptd.
- International students who require a Non-Immigrant Visa (i.e. F-1, J-1), please visit the Graduate School International Application page for more information.
To apply for Fall 2023 admission, please ensure that your admission materials are received by Miami University by February 15, 2023.
Admission to all Bachelor of Music degree programs (Music Composition, Music Education, Music Performance), and the Performance Track in the Bachelor of Arts degree program, requires an audition on a primary performance medium. See below for specific audition requirements by area. The Music Technology and Music in Culture Tracks in the Bachelor of Arts degree program have separate Entrance Requirements. Admission to the Master of Music in Performance program requires an audition on a primary performance medium.
To be admitted to the degree program, students must be admitted to Miami University's Graduate School and to the Department of Music. Students must audition on a major instrument from the following list:
Department of Music
The Miami University Department of Music encourages its students to develop their relationship to the discipline of music as they explore the world through the lens of a superb liberal arts education.