Annual McGuffey Field Trip

Lanier Mansion and Jeremiah Sullivan House, Madison, IN

Wednesday June 6, 2018
8:15 a.m.-5:30 p.m.

Annual McGuffey Museum summer field trip to historic southeast Indiana. 

Contact Sue Gambrell, Miami Art Museum, at 513-529-1887 or gambresw@miamioh.edu to RSVP or request a ride to TJ Maxx parking lot.

Event Photos

Exterior of Lanier Mansion

Detail of ironwork at Lanier Mansion

Tour group at Lanier Mansion

Carol Hennessy takes a break on the steps of Lanier Mansion

Itinerary

8:15 a.m. | Meet at TJ Maxx parking lot

8:30 a.m. | Depart Oxford

10:30 a.m. | Lanier Mansion, 511 West First St., Madison, IN | Admission: $10 seniors

12 noon | Lunch, tentative Broadway Hotel & Tavern, est. 1834 | Lunch will be ordered off the menu with everyone paying for their own meal

2:00 p.m. | Jeremiah Sullivan House, 304 West Second St., Madison, IN | Admission $4.00

3:30 p.m. | Depart for Oxford

5:30 p.m. | Return to TJ Maxx parking lot

About Lanier Mansion

https://www.indianamuseum.org/lanier-mansion-and-state-historic-site

Exterior of Lanier Mansion

Lanier Mansion is one of the best examples of Greek Revival architecture in the country and is considered to be the "Crown Jewel" of Madison’s Historic District. Designed by architect Francis Costigan, the mansion exhibits many original Greek Revival features including its square plan, the full façade porch on the south elevation, the Corinthian columns on the south portico, the Doric pilasters that appear on several locations on the exterior, the massive exterior entablature and dentilated cornice, the ornamental anthemia, the ornamental pediments over the windows and doors, and the Ionic columns that separate the double parlors on the first floor.

Careful interior restoration and redecoration have recaptured the Mansion’s 19th century splendor. During the 1990s, the Department of Natural Resources’ Division of Museums and Historic Sites, with major funding provided by the Lanier Mansion Foundation, restored the building and grounds to their former grandeur. After many years of painstaking research, the home was painted in the original colors both inside and out. On the interior, horsehair brushes were used to paint the walls and decorative plaster moldings which were then covered with a high gloss varnish as they were in 1844. The wallpapers and carpets are all reproductions of those available for purchase in the 1840s. Curators and other staff continue to research furnishes from the period and changes to reflect their research may be made to the home in the future.

Lanier Mansion became a National Historic Landmark in 1994.

About Jeremiah Sullivan House

http://historicmadisoninc.com/properties/jeremiah-sullivan-house/

Exterior of Jeremiah Sullivan House

The Jeremiah Sullivan House located at 304 West Second in the Madison, Indiana Historic District is a fine example of Federal style architecture. Built for the Jeremiah Sullivan family in 1818, the house is considered Madison’s first mansion. The two-story brick dwelling exhibits fine delicate, tapered reeded columns between the entrance door and sidelights, and an elliptical fanlight above.

Virginia-born Sullivan came to Madison in 1816 to practice law. He built his home in 1818 and from this base went on to carve an esteemed career as state legislator, state supreme court judge and county judge, Presbyterian elder, and Mason. He helped found nearby Hanover College and the Indiana Historical Society. Jeremiah Sullivan’s public career was immediately successful. Governor Jennings quickly appointed him prosecuting attorney in Madison and within three years of his arrival he was elected a member of the state legislature. While in the Legislature, it was he who gave Indianapolis its name. He later was judge of the Supreme Court of Indiana from 1836-1846 and in 1869 a criminal court was created for Jefferson County and he was appointed judge.