Skip to Main Content
Global Connections

Closing Thoughts

A student reflects on her Spring 2022 semester in Luxembourg

Global Connections

Closing Thoughts

Corbett poses near the flagpole outside of the Château
The author poses outside the Château in Differdange, Luxembourg.

Somehow, we’ve reached the end of Miami University Dolibois European Center’s 2022 Spring Semester; it flew by as quickly as they said it would. So many things have happened this semester, and I feel as though I’ve grown as a person substantially.

When I chose to study abroad, I knew that I would experience challenges I had never even imagined before, but I was able to meet and overcome every single one of them, which has given me a newfound trust in myself.

I’ve learned how to stop beating myself up for simple mistakes and allow myself to let go of things that are out of my control, because at the end of the day, what happened happened, and you can’t change that.

I also have a renewed appreciation for diversity. Thanks not only to my travels, but also my coursework, I have an even broader understanding of the notion that people are people above anything else (which wasn’t a concept I ever struggled with, but is one that has now been reaffirmed).

After traveling to multiple countries throughout Europe, I have discovered that each and every one of those countries has an entirely different culture than the one right next to it. Every single city I visited had a different feeling to it, and despite living extremely different lives, the people I met were very much just regular human beings.

It has been fascinating to watch Luxembourg grow from an unfamiliar new destination to a second home to me. I’ve gone from being a shy newcomer to a Differdange local. It’s also been really interesting to see my friends and peers experience this with me. We all have learned so much about ourselves and the world around us while here, and I think we are all leaving Luxembourg as more capable individuals.

MUDEC gave me more gifts than I expected it to. The program gave me opportunities to see the world and learn about Europe’s extensive and broad history. It gave me the chance to see monuments I didn’t even know existed and meet people I could never have dreamed of meeting. I have changed so much in what feels like such a brief period of time, and have made lifelong friends and connections I wouldn’t have otherwise.

For now, I will leave my peers with a simple “bon voyage”, and an invitation to reunite in Luxembourg someday soon!

Learn more about studying at Miami in Luxembourg »