Welcome to the Office of Exploratory Studies
The Miami University Office of Exploratory Studies was developed in 2022 to provide advising services to Miami students who are either undecided on a major or were not directly admitted to their major of choice. The program employs best practices for exploratory students through a holistic advising approach that supports students' success.
Why are we successful?
Each Exploratory Studies student is assigned a Student Success Navigator who is familiar with the Miami Plan & Miami Academic Programs. The Navigator assists the student in creating an exploratory action plan, connecting with campus resources, and making a major selection within four semesters.
Student Success Navigators:
- Are trained academic advisors knowledgeable about Miami’s 200+ majors and minors
- Facilitate the exploration process through a holistic, proactive approach
- Work across Miami’s Academic Divisions, Enrollment Management and Student Success, and Student Life to support the major and career exploration
- Assist students in understanding and navigating the Miami Plan requirements, academic policies and procedures, and your degree audit
- Have access to exploration tools to facilitate the exploration process
Meet our Staff
Make an Appointment or Referral
- A student indicates uncertainty about their major choice and wants to explore major/minor options outside of their current division.
- A student is at risk of not meeting the specific major requirements and needs an alternative plan.
- Students who are interested in exploring within their own division continue with their major advisor.
- Student Success Navigators do not advise students on major requirements or create sequencing plans for majors. Once an Exploratory Studies, student narrows their interest to a particular major they are referred to the major advisor to obtain detailed information about the program and change their major, if appropriate.