Graduate Students

Helpful information about financial aid guidelines for graduate students is below. For more detailed information about financial aid, visit Scholarships & Financial Aid.

Graduate Student Assistantships

Miami's Graduate School provides numerous assistantships, associateships, scholarships, and grants-in-aid. Because these awards vary with each area of study, check with your program for specific information regarding deadlines and requirements.

Every student is assigned a Cost of Attendance (COA) based on your campus, housing plan, residency, and enrollment status. The COA includes tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, personal expenses, and transportation. A student may not receive aid in excess of the COA. Graduate students receiving an assistantship in exchange for teaching, research, or working on campus are paid a stipend and receive an instructional fee waiver. If a student receives a graduate assistantship, the fee waiver is considered an additional aid resource and is used in the formula to determine financial need. In order to remain compliant with federal regulations, the amount of a graduate assistantship is subtracted from the COA to determine the student's remaining financial aid eligibility. For example, if your COA is $30,000, and you have a graduate assistantship for $10,000, you have financial aid eligibility of $20,000. If you have no other aid resources, you can borrow loans up to that amount.

You must notify the One Stop for Student Success Services (OneStop@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-0001) of an assistantship or fee waiver of any kind. Once we are notified of your fee waiver, we may be required to make adjustments to your financial aid. Adjustments may occur at any time during the semester; before or after your aid is awarded, before or after disbursement, or even after you receive a refund.

Graduate Assistant Fee Waiver

Full time Graduate Assistants who have accepted their assistantship from Academic Personnel are eligible for a waiver of up to 93% of the Comprehensive fee and up to 100% Out of State, if applicable. The Comprehensive Fee is a combination of tuition, instructional charges, and fees. The 93% covers tuition and instructional charges; GAs are responsible for the remaining 7% which covers other fees. If all paperwork has been processed by the Academic Personnel Office, the dollar value of the waiver will automatically be subtracted from the account balance. This waiver will be shown on the semester invoice as a Graduate Assistant Waiver. Please remember that semester invoices are generated for students who register early. Students are responsible for ensuring that their account balance is paid in full by the due date.

Graduate Assistant Payroll Deduction

Graduate Assistants (GA) who receive stipends in the form of monthly paychecks are eligible to sign up for payroll deduction for the purpose of paying their semester fees. However, if the GA is receiving full financial aid to pay semester fees, he or she will not be permitted to sign up for payroll deduction.

When a student signs up for payroll deduction, he or she agrees to allow the University to deduct any and all charges from his/her University paycheck. In the case of a GA, the total term charges are deducted in equal amounts from the first four monthly paychecks. Also, any new miscellaneous charges (i.e. parking tickets, purchases on campus) placed on the account are deducted in their entirety from the next paycheck. Visit the Payroll Office for payroll schedules.

A GA should sign up for payroll deduction as soon as possible after registering for the fall term and no later than the end of the first week of the fall term. A GA signed up for payroll deduction in the fall will automatically be enrolled in payroll deduction for the spring. GAs who have not participated in the fall and choose to begin payroll deduction for the spring semester must sign up for payroll deduction as soon as possible after registering for the spring term and no later than the end of the first week of the spring term.

The payroll deduction authorization will expire each May. GAs that wish to re-enroll in payroll deduction will need to resubmit their request via the online form for the following fall semester. Any individual who wishes to discontinue payroll deduction may do so by paying any remaining balance and submitting a written request to the One Stop for Student Success Services, 301 S Campus Ave, Oxford, OH 45056 or OneStop@MiamiOH.edu.