Panhellenic Association Recruitment Information
Panhellenic Association (PA) Recruitment
The Panhellenic Association at Miami University includes seventeen nationally known sororities. Panhellenic promotes the common interest of all sororities here at Miami and serves as the unifying, governing, and coordinating body of the sorority community. The Panhellenic Association is comprised of an annually elected executive council and a delegate from each affiliated sorority. Through programming, Panhellenic seeks to provide personal enrichment and knowledge to all sorority members. The Panhellenic Association offers a wide variety of programs for members covering topics including: health, sorority sports, education, community service, and philanthropy. Panhellenic also sponsors and coordinates Miami’s sorority recruitment program. The influence of the Panhellenic Association is a crucial part not only of the sorority community, but also in promoting the betterment of the entire Greek Community at Miami University. For more information please visit the Panhellenic website.
Sorority Eligibility Requirements
- You must have have earned 12 credit hours at Miami University or another college or university
- You must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Eligibility requirements must be met at end of the semester prior to accepting a bid for sorority membership
- You must be a full time Oxford Campus student during the semester in which you participate in recruitment
- All first year women who join a sorority are required to live in the sorority corridor during their second year and must sign an on-campus housing agreement to facilitate that
Sorority Recruitment Dates for Fall Spring 2016
- January 3, 2016 5:00 PM: Deadline to register for Recruitment
- January 28, 2016: Recruitment Kick Off, 7 pm for last names starting with A - L, 8:30 pm for last names starting with M - Z, Pavilion in Armstrong Student Center
- January 29, 2016: Welcome Round Day 1, 5:15 pm - 10:55 pm
- January 30, 2016: Welcome Round Day 2, 9 am - 7 pm
- January 31, 2016: Philanthropy Round, 8:15 am - 11 pm
- February 4, 2016: Sisterhood Round Day 1, 6:15 pm - 10:40 pm
- February 5, 2016: Sisterhood Round Day 2, 5:30 pm - 12 Midnight
- February 6, 2016: Preference Round, 12:30 pm - 9 pm
- February 7, 2016: Bid Day, 3 pm - 10 pm
What to Wear
Thinking about what you need to wear should not be stressful. There are a lot of options. Check out our Pinterest page for ideas on what you should wear for all four rounds of recruitment.
Recommendation Letters for Potential New Members
Recommendations are letters and forms regarding a potential new member that are sent to a sorority chapter before recruitment begins. These letters are used to learn more about a potential new member, with a focus on her high school activities and hometown involvement. Recommendations are typically written by an alumna member of the sorority receiving the missive.
Recommendation letters are not required to participate in women's recruitment at Miami University. Nevertheless, they are a great way to introduce a potential new member to a sorority before recruitment starts. We encourage all potential new members to talk to affiliated women (e.g., family friends, teachers, youth group leaders, or anyone who can attest to the skills and character of the potential new member) and request recommendations to be sent on their behalf.
Every sorority has a slightly different recommendation process and some may have a special form that must be completed and signed. Check out each sorority’s national headquarters web site to learn more about the recommendation process and where to send forms and letters.
Forms and letters are typically mailed to the chapter’s recruitment advisor (a sorority alumna who helps the chapter with recruitment). If you are unable to find a local contact, recommendations can be mailed to the Cliff Alexander Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life at Miami University. Please address the envelop as follows:
ATTN: Recruitment Chair
2029 Armstrong Student Center
Oxford, OH 45056