Procedures for Addressing and Recording Student Complaints
Miami University strives to provide an environment for the development of all students where disagreements or concerns can be discussed, reported and addressed in a professional and clear manner.
These procedures apply to registered students of Miami University. When a student has a complaint, resolution should first be sought through informal communication with the appropriate faculty member, department chair, dean, staff member or representative who may be able to help rectify or clarify the situation before a formal written complaint is initiated. Policies and procedures related to many common situations are listed below.
If the nature of the complaint falls into one of the categories listed below, please follow the link for more specific guidance on the procedure to be used:
- Academic Grievance Complaints for Undergraduate Students (related to courses, quality of instruction or grading)
- Academic Grievance Complaints for Graduate Students
- Harassment and Discrimination Concerns
- Sexual Misconduct Complaints
- FERPA, Student Privacy and Student Records Concerns
- Academic Dishonesty Concerns (Undergraduate)
- Academic Dishonesty Concerns (Graduate)
- Code of Student Conduct Concerns and Procedures
- Grievance Relating to Student Publications
- Illegal Activity and Misconduct Complaints
- Campus Free Speech Complaints
- Tuition Promise Appeals
- Financial Aid Appeals (e.g., Satisfactory Academic Progress, Scholarships, Special Circumstances)
Formal written complaints related to issues not addressed in the policies and procedures outlined above may be submitted through the Miami University Complaint Form.
Before submitting the form:
- Undergraduate students on the Oxford campus are encouraged to contact the Dean of Undergraduate Education for academic concerns that are not covered in the above list of policies and procedures for possible resolution.
- Undergraduate students on the Oxford campus are encouraged to contact the Dean of Students for non-academic concerns that are not covered in the above list of policies and procedures for possible resolution.
- Undergraduate students on the Regional campuses are encouraged to contact the Senior Assistant Dean of Student and Academic Success for any academic or non-academic concerns that are not covered in the above list of policies and procedures for possible resolution.
- Graduate students are encouraged to contact the Dean of the Graduate School for academic concerns that are not covered in the above list of policies and procedures for possible resolution.
If an issue cannot be addressed through one of the above procedures, students may complete the Student Complaint Form below to initiate the formal complaint process.
When a formal complaint is submitted, the appropriate leader listed above will coordinate responses to these complaints. The person will either directly address the complaint or refer the complaint to the appropriate chair, director, or other administrator.
A record of complaints will be maintained for ten years.
Once each year, the Office of the Provost will create a summary report of complaints and disseminate the report to the Council of Academic Deans and President’s Executive Cabinet for discussion of trends and possible improvements needed.