Academic Advising

How does advising in English work?

If you are a first- or second-year student majoring in a program in English you will have an assigned academic advisor in the College of Arts and Sciences advising office.

During your second year, you will be reassigned to a faculty advisor in your major. Your faculty advisor will be an expert in the field you have chosen to study, and they should be your point person for questions related to completing your major and overall requirements (Creative Writing, Linguistics, Literature, or Professional Writing).

An advisor may recommend that you consult with more than one person or office to have all your questions answered accurately. For example, if you want to study abroad, an advisor will encourage you to speak with an advisor in Education Abroad. They may also refer you to the Lead Departmental Advisor for DAR-related issues or to a career advisor in the Center for Career Exploration and Success. This collaborative approach assures that you will receive the best possible guidance as you complete your degree requirements.

Who is my assigned academic advisor?

To find out who your assigned academic advisor is

  • log on to your MyMiami account
  • search “Who is my academic advisor?”
  • click the option “Academic Advising - Who is my academic advisor?” to find information about your advisor

Tip: click on the “heart icon” to add this option to your Favorites.

Office of the Lead Departmental Advisor in English (LDA)

For a number of administrative issues, your faculty advisor may refer you to the LDA’s office. Dr. Gabriele Bechtel is the Lead Departmental Advisor for all programs in English and can be reached at for any questions related to

  • information on all programs (majors or minors) in English
  • declaring or changing a major or minor in English
  • multiple majors/minors in English
  • ENG 340 internship course
  • senior and general progress checks for the ENG majors and minors
  • ENG major/minor - related DAR issues and adjustment requests
  • calendar year changes
  • English course transfer evaluation and study abroad pre-approval (consortium agreements)
  • issues meeting program and/or GPA requirements
  • re-enrollment in ENG after leave of absence

Contact Gabriele at with questions or meeting requests.  

College of Arts and Science (CAS) Academic Advising Office (= Divisional Advising)

Please contact divisional advising, the  CAS Academic Advising Office, for inquiries related to

  • complex DAR issues involving multiple majors/minors and/ or Miami Plan requirements
  • a hold on your account
  • graduation and final graduation checks
  • requests to increase the per semester credit hour limit
  • plans to move to or add a CAS major (from CEC, FSB, CCA, CEHS)
  • petitions
  • plans to withdraw from the university or to take a leave of absence

Career Advising

Career preparation & professionalization resources & opportunities

Center for Career Exploration & Student Success (CCES)

The Center for Diversity and Inclusion has offered many resources, including special CCES office hours in their Armstrong 2030 location and links websites such as  DiversityInc, a leading publication on diversity and business. 

Search job/internship databases, post your resume, and connect with employers via  Handshake.

The Center for American and World Cultures offers Voices Intergroup Dialogue - courses and seminars.

The Harry T. Wilks Institute for Leadership and Service offers workshops and certificates in leadership and civic engagement. 

Consider training as a Writing Consultant at the Howe Center for Writing Excellence or the English Language Learner Writing Center. 

Jobs and Careers at Miami

Students from ENG programs have worked/interned for CAS Communications, the Miami Recreation Center, the Miami University Arts Museum, Career Services, Global Initiatives, the Miami University Press, the Humanities Center, and more.

Registration 101

Know the dates and deadlines

Know about course offerings and prerequisites

  • Miami Course List: This list contains all course offerings and prerequisites as well as access to the ROR system for force-adding requests. 

Know about academic advising and who your advisor is (see “Academic Advising” tab above).

Know the requirements for your academic program   

Know when you register and make sure you are cleared for registration

The registrar’s One Stop office provides comprehensive information on the registration process. Be sure to check out One Stop’s website ahead of time. 

Know how to make a force-add request through ROR (Registration Override Request)

In ENG, the ROR system is in place for all classes except ENG 313, Technical Writing for which you should use Banner Waitlist. 

To make an ROR request:

  1. Go to the Miami Course List
  2. Log on to your account
  3. Select "Registration Override Request"
  4. If there are multiple sections, rank them in order of preference
  5. Provide a reason for the request.
  6. Submit the request.

You will receive an email confirmation and receive further notifications whenever actions are taken on your request. Seats will be assigned according to priority.

More info on the registration override process.

Finally…. making plans early helps keep stress levels down during registration

  • Be on top of things: learn as much as you can about your academic requirements and the registration process. Departmental websites, One Stop, and the Office of Liberal Education’s website can help. 
  • Prepare a list of courses early and include back-up options; be flexible with course times and days.
  • Meet with your assigned academic advisor early, especially if you have questions or are not sure which route to take in your program.
  • Know and use your assigned registration window.
  • Use ROR, if available, for force-add requests; if there is a pressing need, provide a detailed explanation. 
  • Know that course seats may open in the weeks following the initial registration process as students tweak their schedules and keep an eye on the course listings.

One Stop: The Registrar's Webportal

The registrar’s One Stop Website answers many FAQs related to financial matters and course registration. Contact the registrar’s One Stop office immediately if you have

  • a hold on your account
  • problems with financial aid
  • technical issues during course registration

Declaring/Changing a Major, Minor, or Thematic Sequence 

Information on programs offered through the Department of English:

Are you ready to declare or change? Fill out the form below:

Major/Minor/Thematic Sequence Change/Declare Form

Do you have additional questions?