Department of Media, Journalism, and Film
Inquiry. Discovery. Creativity. Practice.
Bringing together the faculty, staff, and curricula of four distinct but interrelated programs and their associated disciplines and methodologies, we are united behind the goal of helping students become media-literate and critically engaged citizen-producers. We integrate the analysis of media's role in our social world and the creation of high-quality media content. We provide skill-based training within a liberal arts context, blending critical and conceptual learning with practical training in media and news production.
The Department of Media, Journalism and Film gives students a one-stop spot to study all forms of media. The beauty of our department is its breadth of analytical and hands-on courses and opportunities. These help students think critically about the changing media world while producing cutting-edge work. We are a part of Miami’s College of Arts and Science.
- MJF believes in educating students broadly as critical thinkers and capable writers, while also grounding them in cutting-edge media creative and production skills.
- MJF offers undergraduate majors in Media and Communication (formerly Media & Culture), Journalism and Strategic Communication; and a co-major in Film Studies.
- MJF teaches hands-on skills in TV and radio production, scriptwriting, multimedia reporting, public speaking and public relations.
- MJF teaches students skills they can use off-campus to our study away programs in Hollywood, New York City, Washington, D.C.; as well as dozens of regional internships.
- MJF facilities include a professional TV studio, radio studio, many computer labs, and the newest media equipment and production software.
- MJF extra-curricular opportunities include a student-run TV and radio stations, newspapers, magazines and journals each with their own high-tech facilities.
Our Undergraduate Programs
of majors find employment after graduation.
Because all careers are media careers
Today’s employers are looking for critical thinkers who can navigate a complex world--interpreting, managing, and producing effective mediated communication. The Department of Media, Journalism & Film combines a rigorous humanities education with real-world media skills, outstanding networking, and internship opportunities, preparing students for jobs in--and beyond--the media industries.
Give to the Department of Media, Journalism, and Film
Help us prepare the next generation of leaders in the fields of media, journalism, and film —and our society as a whole. We have numerous scholarships, grants, and programs accepting contributions from donors like you.