Student Success

Two Miami University Art students’ work selected to be published in drawing textbook

Junior Kaitie Brunner and 2022 aluma Hannah Martin’s artworks were selected to be featured in "Gateways to Drawing: A Complete Guide" by Stephen C.P. Gardner, Thames & Hudson.

Student Success

Junior Kaitie Brunner and 2022 aluma Hannah Martin’s artworks were selected to be featured in "Gateways to Drawing: A Complete Guide" by Stephen C.P. Gardner, Thames & Hudson. Miami University artworks were submitted to the publisher by Associate Professor of Art Joomi Chung.  

“Gateways to Drawing features over 500 historical and contemporary artists' works and selected students' work examples in full color with comprehensive introduction to drawing concepts, media, and processes,” Chung said. “This book has been an essential part of our drawing curriculum.”

Brunner is an aspiring artist from Lima, Ohio. She began her college career at Miami University in 2020 and is now in her junior year. Brunner is currently working towards a BFA in Studio Art with a possible concentration in ceramics. She is a member of the Miami University Ceramics Club and plans to pursue further involvement related to her major. 

“I began to show interest in art at a very young age. Even though I have been able to explore many different forms of art, I have always had a love for drawing,” Brunner explained. “When I found out my drawing was selected, it really validated all my effort and I truly appreciate the recognition.”

Martin is a Canadian-American artist based in Cincinnati, Ohio. She graduated in 2022 with a BFA in Studio Art, with a dual focus in Painting and Ceramics, as well as minors in Art & Architecture History and Arts Entrepreneurship. She served on the College of Creative Arts Student Advisory Board, started the Miami University Ceramics Club, and subsequently served as president of the club. As an experimental multimedia artist, Hannah uses the artistic process to investigate themes of identity, self, womanhood, and trauma.

“I've been drawing self-portraits ever since I was a child,” Martin said. “So when I found out that my self-portrait was going to be featured in Gateways to Drawing, it was a special moment for me to reflect on how far I've come as an artist– from my drawings in colored pencil as a child to this drawing in the same medium, art has always been a very important part of my life and how I understand myself.”

Both students completed various courses taught by Chung, including ART106 (Introduction to Figure Drawing) and ART 221 (Intermediate Drawing)

“I am fortunate to have such talented and hardworking students,” Chung said. “And it is rewarding to see their brilliant works featured in one of the most utilized drawing textbooks in the field.”

From basic setup and choice of materials to self-critique and evaluation of drawings, "Gateways to Drawing: A Complete Guide" allows educators to design a comprehensive art course. The revised edition is expected to be published in 2023.

Selected works:

ski-drawing1-updated.jpg

Symbolic Self-portrait by Kaitie Brunner. Graphite hatching on Legion Stonehenge paper, 22"x30", 2022.

drawing-updated.jpg

Self-Portrait after Vermeer's Girl with Pearl Earring by Hannah Martin. Color pencil on charcoal paper, 19"x25", 2019