Skip to Main Content
Excellence and Expertise

Freshman Olivia Cotton earns scholarship for Broadway intensive in NYC

Excellence and Expertise

Image 2

Olivia Cotton, a freshman Theatre and Vocal Performance double major, with minors in Dance and Women and Gender Studies, earned accolades and recognition at the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival (KCACTF) region 3 over J-term.

At the festival, Cotton secured a spot as a dance finalist and landed among the top 20 semi-finalists in musical theatre while working with Correy West from Anything Goes and Ain’t Too Proud on Broadway.

“I had two days packed of auditioning from as early as 7am call times and then immediately going into dance rehearsals,” Cotton explained. “I was dancing 6-7 hours a day putting together three full length dances from broadway routines including Mean Girls, Anything Goes, and Back to the Future! In-between rehearsals, I was attending workshops and classes the festival offered.”

Following the festival, Cotton received an email from the KCACTF containing feedback and reviews, along with an invitation and scholarship to the esteemed Open Jar Institute for a Broadway intensive in Times Square, New York City. West was who nominated Cotton for this opportunity. 

Expressing her excitement, Cotton shared, "I’m super excited to attend this program in Times Square and work with Broadway performers and learn from those working in the industry and be inspired by the fellow performers attending the program with me."

Cotton also expressed her gratitude for the opportunities and support she's received at Miami University, particularly citing her experience working on "With Two Wings" under the mentorship of Matt Omasta. "He and this department have given me so many opportunities in just the short time I’ve been here and have given me so much support," Cotton said. "I’m truly grateful to the Theatre department and their investment in me and my education."

The Broadway Intensive at Open Jar Studios promises an immersive experience, where Cotton will have the opportunity to refine her skills alongside some of Broadway's finest performers, directors, and choreographers.