Excellence and Expertise

Assistant Professor Jessica Rivera finds success at the Cincinnati Opera

Excellence and Expertise

Jessica performing opera
Photo by Philip Groshong/Cincinnati Opera

Miami University's Department of Music is proud to announce the recent success of Assistant Professor Jessica Rivera in her major role in last week's production of Don Giovanni with the Cincinnati Opera. Rivera captivated audiences and critics alike with her portrayal of Donna Elvira, one of the three leading women in Mozart's classic opera.

In its review, the Cincinnati Business Courier lauded Rivera's performance, highlighting her powerful interpretation of the tormented character. The publication noted, "Soprano Jessica Rivera (who sang Musetta in La Bohème in 2017) returned to sing the role of the tormented Donna Elvira. As Giovanni’s jilted lover, her acting conveyed the full spectrum of rage and despair. Vocally, her finest moment was ‘Mi Tradi’ in Act 2. It was an emotional outpouring accompanied by sighing violins in the orchestra."

A GRAMMY winner renowned for her versatility and emotional depth, Rivera demonstrates exceptional talent and dedication to her craft. Her portrayal of Donna Elvira is a testament to her status as an established star in the opera world, and her ability to convey complex emotions through both her acting and vocal performance.

“I thoroughly enjoyed my return to the Music Hall stage for my role debut of Donna Elvira with the Cincinnati Opera,” said Rivera. “While I have spent much of my career creating roles in newly composed modern operas, it was thrilling to perform in a work that has helped define opera and in a role that is a perfect fit for me both vocally and dramatically.”

In addition to her recent operatic success, Rivera will be performing a Studio Session solo recital in the Wilks Studio at Cincinnati's Music Hall on July 11 at 8:00 PM.

For more information about Rivera's recital and to purchase tickets, please visit Cincinnati Opera’s official website. To stay updated on future performances and news from Miami University’s Department of Music, follow us on social media and visit our website regularly.