Advancements and Achievements
ADVANCEMENT/ACHIEVEMENTS ARE DESIRABLE OBJECTS
get/take the advancement/achievements
ADVANCEMENT/ACHIEVEMENTS ARE CREATED OBJECTS
make an advancement/achievements
DISCRIMINATION IS A DESIRABLE OBJECT
DISCRIMINATION IS AN UNPLEASANT ENTITY
Health and Emotion
HEALTH/EMOTION/ONE'S CHARACTER IS AN OBJECT RETAINED IN ONE'S POSSESSION
keep a good mood/health/happy/one's original character
HEALTH/EMOTION/ONE'S CHARACTER IS A CONTAINER
be in a mood/good/bad health
ABILITIES/ONE'S CHARACTER IS OBJECT(S) REQUIRING MAINTENANCE
polish capabilities/one's character
ABILITIES/ONE'S CHARACTER IS A CONTAINER
behaving in character; his rudeness was completely out of character
Financial and Social Pressure
FINANCIAL/SOCIAL PRESSURE/INFLUENCE/CONVENIENCE IS A TRANSFERABLE OBJECT
give/bring/obtain pressure/habits/effects/ influence/convenience
FINANCIAL/SOCIAL PRESSURE IS THE FORCE OF A HEAVY OBJECT LOCATED ON SOMEBODY
put, place, exert pressure
INFLUENCE IS A FORCE
exert influence on; have a direct/profound/strong influence on somebody/something
CONVENIENCE IS AN OBJECT MADE AVAILABLE TO OTHERS
Study these examples.
- The tuition in the US is more expensive than in China, which will give my parents some financial pressure. (incorrect)
- The tuition in the US is more expensive than in China, which will put some financial pressure on my parents. (correct)
American speakers talk about "some financial pressure" the same way as they talk about an object (e.g., a 65-kilogram bag) that is so heavy that an individual can only carry it on the back/shoulders rather than a small and light object, e.g., a book or flowers that can be handed to an individual.
- The negative side effects that the GMO technology brings to us still cannot be ignored. (incorrect)
- The negative side effects that the GMO technology produces still cannot be ignored. (correct)
American speakers talk about effects the same way as they talk about objects that can be pressed into different shapes, e.g., metal can be shaped into a fork or a spoon rather than objects that can be transferred from one place to another (e.g., a book or a laptop).
Correct the following.
- Opponents argue that the development in technology brings people many bad habits and causes some dangerous consequences.
- However, when cell phone gives people some convenience, it also brings bad influence to people especially for students.
- As an international student, I came to the USA to learn knowledge here.
- All of these innovations improve the quality of life and take the advancement of our civilization.
- People who do not have a good appearance will get discrimination in the society.