White Family Associate Clinical Professor & Associate Clinical Professor
- Campus: Oxford
- Office: 2073
- Phone: 513.529.1440
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By appointment anytime - friedmj2@miamiOH.edu
- Curriculum Vita[PDF]*
* Accessible version of PDF available upon request.
- Ph.D. Communication, Union Institute, 1982
- B.S.Design, University of Cincinnati, DAA, 1978
Academic & Professional Experience
- White Family Associate Clinical Professor of Creativity & Entrepreneurship, Miami University (2015 - Current)
- Chief Steward/Chair of International Advisory Board, World Creativity & Innovation Day/Week (2019 - Current)
- Clinical Professor of Creativity & Entrepreneurship, Miami University (2012 - 2014)
- Markley Executive Visiting Professor, Miami University (2008-2012)
- Founder, CEO, VP Marketing, Blind Squirrels Production Group (1999-2013) - Created, wrote, directed and produced more than 150 television specials for ESPN, PBS, WGN, USA Network local stations. Produced and directed 11 national prime time television dramas.
- Producer/Vice President, Startalk Inc. (1996-2006)
- Founder/President, The Dreambuilder Institute (2000-2005)
- Director of Program Development, The Magic Production Group (1993-1999)
- Adjunct Professor, Mass Communication, Miami University (1997)
- Director of Program Development, Scripps Howard Broadcasting (1989-1993)
- Author of Images of America: Cincinnati Television, from Arcadia Publishing
- Author of 22 Days of America, Bug Tales from Oval Window Press
Honors & Awards
- National Broadcasters Hall of Fame, Inducted 2009
- Silver Circle Hall of Fame, Inducted 2004
- Miami University ASG Outstanding Professor of the Year 2016
- Miami University Richard K Smucker Excellence in Teaching Award 2013
- Society for Professional Journalist Hall of Fame, Inducted 2012
- 65 Emmy Awards
- 2 National Emmy Award Nominations
- Six US and International Patents for design and innovation
- Miami University Smucker Teaching Excellence Award 2013
- Miami University ASG Outstanding Professor Award 2016
- International Telly Awards, Multiple
- National Association of Broadcasters Life In America Award
- Aurora International Film Festival, Platinum Best in Show
- San Francisco Black Film Festival/Best Feature
- International Film Festival of New York, Gold Medal
- Houston International Film Festival, Special Gold Jury Award
- American International Film Festival, Red Ribbon
- US International Film Festival, Gold Camera Award
- Gabriel Award
- Outstanding Professor Nominee, Miami University 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Miami University Celtua Commendation Top 100 2012-2019
"Ask fifty people to describe Friedman and you'll get fifty different answers... all true. He is a paradox. Student-Teacher. Quiet-Demanding. But all will agree on his passion and dedication to sharing the magic of creativity and innovation in everything he does."
Jim Friedman is a Cincinnati native and resident Wordsmith/Dreambuilder who may be best known for creating television shows and movies. He is a serial creative entrepreneur. In addition to his broadcasting ventures, he has created national marketing campaigns; been granted multiple patents; written books; written, recorded and performed music; and danced the hokey pokey at age three on the Uncle Al Show.
Since 2008 he has taught Creativity and Marketing at Miami University and is a frequent speaker on topics of creativity and personal branding. Friedman's consulting and coaching work centers on connecting creative/innovative thinking to entrepreneurship for companies and individuals across the country.
Friedman grew up in Wyoming, Ohio (Go Cowboys). He graduated from the University of Cincinnati (DAAP) with a B.S. in Design (Go Bearcats), earned his doctorate in communication (Ph.D.) from the Union Institute and his doctorate in Creativity (Cr.D.) which he made up himself. He has won 65 Emmy Awards, has been inducted into three Halls of Fame and is recognized for his creativity and effectiveness in the classroom.
Besides wordsmithing, Friedman enjoys asking questions, finding second right answers, silencing his voice of judgment, taking risks and failing often and well.
- FALL 2023