Information Systems & Analytics
- Campus: Oxford
- Office: 3124
- Phone: 513.529.8340
- Email: email@example.com
- M 10:30-11:30
- TR 6-6:30
- W 10:30-11:30 (VIRTUALLY)
- Curriculum Vita[PDF]*
* Accessible version of PDF available upon request.
- Ph.D. Virginia Commonwealth University, Management Information Systems, 2002
- M.B.A. Virginia Commonwealth University, Masters of Business Administration, 1993
- B.Sc. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Accounting, 1984
Academic & Professional Experience
- Associate Professor, Miami University (2010 to present)
- Assistant Professor, Miami University (2003-2010).
- Instructor, Graduate Research Assistant and Teaching Assistant, Virginia Commonwealth University (1996-2002).
- Senior Consultant (VCU Information Systems Research Institute), Circuit City Stores, Inc. (2000).
- Senior Consultant (VCU Information Systems Research Institute), Deutsche Bank AG (1999).
- Senior Consultant (VCU Information Systems Research Institute), Reynolds Metals Company (1999).
- IT Education Consultant (VCU Information Systems Research Institute), Capitol One Financial Corp (1998).
- Transportation Analyst, Fort James Corporation (1995-1996).
- Project Analyst, Fort James Corporation (1994).
- Senior Internal Auditor, Fort James Corporation (1993-1994).
- Tax/Financial Analyst, Fort James Corporation (1992-1992).
- Tax Accountant/Federal Audit Team, Fort James Corporation (1990).
- Financial Reporting Coordinator, Fort James Corporation (1989).
- Corporate Tax Accountant, Fort James Corporation (1986-1989).
- Senior Auditor, Cherry, Bekaert & Holland (1984-1986). )earned Certified Public Accounting license in Virginia)
- Staff Accountant, Cherry, Bekaert & Holland (1984-1986).
- Anderson, Chad, Arthur Carvalho, Mala Kaul, and Jeffrey W. Merhout (2023), Blockchain Innovation for Consent Self-Management in Health Information Exchanges” Decision Support Systems (ABDC: A*; ABS: 3; AIS Senior Scholars' List), In Press, May 31, 2023 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2023.114021
- Nwankpa, Joseph, Zhe "Jay" Shan, Jeffrey W. Merhout, John "Skip" Benamati, and Maria Weese (2023), “A Social Engineering Research Partnership in Higher Education to Improve Information Security Education, Training, and Awareness (SETA) Programs,” included in the AMCIS 2023 Proceedings, Presented by TBD at the 29th Americas Conference on Information Systems 2023 in Panama City, Panama, August 9-12, 2023.
- Anderson, Chad, Arthur Carvalho, and Jeffrey W. Merhout (2022), "Patient Consent for Health Information Exchange: Blockchain-driven Innovation," included in the Proceedings, presented by C.Anderson at the 28th Americas Conference on Information Systems 2022 in Minneapolis, MN, August 10-13, 2022.
- Merhout, Jeffrey W., Benamati, John (Skip), Rajkumar, T.M. (2021), "The Influence of Career Panels on Student Perceptions, Attitudes, and Intentions toward the Information Systems Profession." Decision Sciences Journal of Innovative Education. https://doi.org/10.1111/dsji.12257
- Witt, Benjamin, Sarah J. Wolanske, and Jeffrey W. Merhout (2021), "A COBIT 2019 Expansion: I&T Governance Framework for Artificial Intelligence in Marketing," accepted by the ISACA Journal; Volume 2, 2021, online version. Published: 10 March 2021; https://www.isaca.org/resources/isaca-journal/issues/2021/volume-2/it-governance-framework-for-artificial-intelligence-in-marketing Note: this is an extension of a major student project completed by Witt and Wolanske in ISA 305 in Spring 2019
- Carvalho, A.; Merhout, J. W., Kadiyala, Y., and Bentley, J. (2020) "When Good Blocks Go Bad: Managing Unwanted Blockchain Data," International Journal of Information Management, 57 (2021) 102263 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2020.102263
- Havelka, Douglas and Jeffrey W. Merhout (2020), "The Decision to Major in Information Systems: Critical Factors for Students," Issues in Information Systems, v21, i4, pp.59-66, 2020. http://www.iacis.org/iis/iis_articles.php?volume=21&issue=4
- Nwankpa, Joseph K. and Jeffrey W. Merhout (2020), "Exploring the Effect of Digital Investment on IT Innovation," Sustainability, 2020, 12, 7374. https://www.mdpi.com/journal/sustainability
- Merhout, Jeffrey W. (2020), "IT Governance SCOIR Model: a Practical Framework and Research Opportunity" . Proceedings of the Fifteenth Annual Midwest Association for Information Systems Conference (MWAIS 2020). https://aisel.aisnet.org/mwais2020/14
- Carvalho, Arthur, Jeffrey W. Merhout, Yogesh Kadiyala, and John Bentley (2019), "When Good Blocks Go Bad: Dealing with Unwanted Blockchain Data," presented by A. Carvalho on November 23, 2019 at the Decision Sciences Institute 2019 Annual Conference in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
- Schwartz, Dana and Jeffrey W. Merhout (2019), "Blockchain - a Solution to Age-old Problems: Overview, Case Examples & Research Ideas," presented by J.Merhout; Proceedings of the Fourteenth Annual Midwest Association for Information Systems Conference (MWAIS 2019), Oshkosh, Wisconsin, May 21-22, 2019. https://aisel.aisnet.org/mwais2019/3
- Havelka, Douglas and Jeffrey W. Merhout (2018), "Information Assurance Quality Factors: A Comparison of Manager Versus Staff Perspectives," Issues in Information Systems, v19, i3, pp.120-130, 2018. http://www.iacis.org/iis/iis_articles.php?volume=19&issue=3
- Krehbiel, Timothy C., Peter A. Salzarulo, Michelle Cosmah, John Forren, Gerald Gannod, Douglas Havelka, Andrea Hulshult, and Jeffrey W. Merhout (2017), "Agile Manifesto for Teaching and Learning," The Journal of Effective Teaching, Vol. 17, No.2, 2017, 90-111.
- Merhout, Jeffrey W. and Mary Kovach (2017), "Governance Practices over Agile Systems Development Projects: A Research Agenda," presented by J.Merhout; Proceedings of the Twelfth Annual Midwest Association for Information Systems Conference (MWAIS 2017), Springfield, Illinois, May 18-19, 2017. http://aisel.aisnet.org/mwais2017/34/
- Schiller, Shu Z., Jeffrey W. Merhout, and Rike Sandlin (2016), "Enterprise IT Asset Disposition: An Overview and Tutorial," Journal of the Midwest Association for Information Systems, Vol. 2016, Issue 2, July 2016, Article 2, pp. 27-42.
- Merhout, Jeffrey W., Douglas J. Havelka, and Rajkumar, T.M., (2016), Determining Factors that Lead Students to Study Information Systems using an Alumni Focus Group, included in the Proceedings, presented by J.Merhout at 22nd Americas Conference on Information Systems 2016 in San Diego, CA, August 10-13, 2016. http://aisel.aisnet.org/amcis2016/ISEdu/Presentations/37/
- Merhout, Jeffrey W. and Joseph O'Toole (2015), "Enhancing the Control Objectives for Information and Related Technologies (COBIT 5) Framework for Sustainable IT Governance," Journal of the Midwest Association for Information Systems, Vol. 2015, Issue 2, July 2015.
- Havelka, Douglas and Jeffrey W. Merhout (2013), "Internal Information Technology Audit Process Quality: Theory Development Using Structured Group Processes," International Journal of Accounting Information Systems, Volume 14, Issue 3, September 2013, pp. 165-192.
- Sutirtha Chatterjee, Jeffrey W. Merhout, Suprateek Sarker, Allen S. Lee, (2013) "An examination of the electronic market hypothesis in the US home mortgage industry: A deductive case study," Information Technology & People, Vol. 26 Iss: 1, pp.4 - 27
- Merhout, Jeffrey W., Sarah L. Newport, and Patrick E. Damo (2012), "Teaching Tip: Simulated Audits to Engage Students in IT Governance and Assurance Courses," Journal of Information Systems Education, Volume 23, Issue 2, pp. 113-118.
- Stoel, M. Dale, Douglas Havelka, and Jeffrey W. Merhout (2012) "An analysis of attributes that impact information technology audit quality: A study of IT and financial audit practitioners," International Journal of Accounting Information Systems, Volume 13, Issue 1, March 2012, pp. 60-79.
- Rajkumar, T.M.; Anderson, Paul; Benamati, John; and Merhout, Jeffrey W. (2011) "Are Student Self-Assessments a Valid Proxy for Direct Assessments in Efforts to Improve Information Systems Courses and Programs? An Empirical Study," Communications of the Association for Information Systems: Vol. 28, article 31.ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ Available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/cais/vol28/iss1/31
- Merhout, Jeffrey W. (2010), "Discussion of 'Factors associated with IT audits by the internal audit function,'" International Journal of Accounting Information Systems, September 2010, 11(3), 152-154.
- Havelka, Douglas and Jeffrey W. Merhout (2009), "Toward A Theory of Information Technology Professional Competence," Journal of Computer Information Systems, Winter 2009-2010, 50(2), 106-116.
- Merhout, Jeffrey; Benamati, John; Rajkumar, T.M.; Anderson, Paul; and Marado, Dave (2008) "Implementing Direct and Indirect Assessment in the MIS Curriculum," The Communications of the Association for Information Systems: Vol. 23, Article 24. Available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/cais/vol23/iss1/24
- Merhout, Jeffrey W. and Havelka, Douglas (2008) "Information Technology Auditing: A Value-Added IT Governance Partnership between IT Management and Audit," The Communications of the Association for Information Systems: Vol. 23, Article 26. Available at: http://aisel.aisnet.org/cais/vol23/iss1/26
- Merhout, Jeffrey W. and Sarah E. Buchman (2007), "Requisite Skills and Knowledge for Entry-level IT Auditors," Journal of Information Systems Education, Winter 2007, 18(4), 469-478.
- Glassberg, B. C. & Merhout, J. W. (2007). Electronic Markets Hypothesis Redux: Where are we now? Communications of the ACM, 50 (2), 51-55.
Honors & Awards
- 2017 Outstanding Professor Award Nominee (sponsored by the Associated Student Government Academic Affairs)
- 2016: Excellence in Career Development Award from Miami University.
- 2015: Farmer School of Business Faculty Award for Service Excellence.
- 2008: Nominated for Miami's E. Phillips Knox Teaching Award, which recognizes excellence and innovation in undergraduate teaching.
- 2006: Fall 2006 Faculty Appreciation Dinner, Gamma Phi Beta & Sigma Phi Epsilon.
- 2005: Honored Professor for 2005, Miami University-Associated Student Government.
- Research: Strategic Implications of Managing IT; IT Governance; Information Security and IT Auditing; IS Research Methodologies; Agile Project Management and Team Facilitation Techniques; Women in IT; Blockchain; Writing Across the IS Curriculum
- Teaching: Information Risk Management, IT Governance, Security and IT Auditing; Strategic Management of Information Systems; Database Management; Enterprise Systems.
Areas of Expertise
- IT audit
- IT careers
- Information risk management
- Information technology
Jeff Merhout was born and raised in Virginia. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in Business (major in accounting) from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in June 1984. He received his Master of Business Administration degree from Virginia Commonwealth University in August 1993. He is a Certified Public Accountant (currently inactive).
In August 1996, he entered the information systems doctoral program at Virginia Commonwealth University full time. While at VCU, he taught information systems courses for six years. In addition, he performed information systems consulting work for several major corporations, including Capital One Financial Corporation, Deutsche Bank AG (in New York City), Reynolds Metals Company, and Circuit City Stores, Inc.
He received his Doctor of Philosophy degree in Business (Information Systems major) from VCU University in December 2002.
Jeff, his wife, Michaux, and daughter, Heather, moved to Liberty Township, Ohio in December 2002. Jeff began his position as an assistant professor in the Decision Sciences and Management Information Systems department at Miami University in January 2003. The Merhout family welcomed another daughter, Carrie, in October 2004, and a son, Preston, in December 2006. in 2020-21, Heather is a junior at Miami, studying Music Composition with a Computer Science Thematic Sequence.
In 2010, Jeff was promoted to Associate Professor.
- ISA 303 A 1:15-2:35 TR FSB 2050
- ISA 235 N 4:25-5:45 TR FSB 0031
- ISA 629 A 6-7:15 T FSB 0024