The 2023 Bridges Program application is now closed. For questions, contact Margaret Bennett-Swihart at margaret.bennettswihart@MiamiOH.edu.
Miami University is proud to present the Bridges Program, which was founded 40 years ago by Black students who wanted a Miami degree to be more accessible to students from diverse backgrounds and to ensure that their experiences here would be rewarding. The Bridges Program is an engaging experience that provides an inside look at Miami University to prospective students. This program invites high-achieving high school seniors from historically underrepresented populations, as well as students who have a commitment to promoting a deeper understanding of and appreciation for diversity, to engage with our current students, faculty, and staff. The program attracts students who represent various diverse identities — racial/ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity, and socioeconomic.
2021 Inspiring Programs in STEM Award
2023 Bridges Program Dates
Students should choose one session to attend (to be declared on the application). Round-trip transportation will be provided from select cities, and airports for the sessions below:
- Session 1: Oct. 22-23 (Chillicothe, Columbus)
- Session 2: Nov. 5-6 (Cincinnati, Dayton)
- Session 3: Nov. 12-13 (Akron, Cleveland, Toledo)
- Session 4: Nov. 19-20 (Out-of-state via Cincinnati and Dayton airports and Cincinnati bus stations)
We encourage you to apply for the Bridges Program. Students accepted to the Bridges Program usually meet the following application criteria:
- High school students graduating in 2024
- Minimum of 3.00 GPA on a 4.00 scale or top 25% of graduating class
- Rigorous curriculum
- Demonstrated leadership/co-curricular involvement
- Test scores (PLAN, ACT, SAT, PSAT) are NOT required
|To be submitted by||Documents|
1. Bridges Program Application
Please complete the application to be considered for the Bridges Program. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until Monday, Oct. 2, 2023 at 12 p.m. ET. Priority consideration for Session I will be given to students who live in Columbus or Chillicothe/Portsmouth areas AND who complete their entire Bridges application by Monday, Sept. 18. Information that you enter into the application saves as you fill it out. You can exit at any time and return to the last page you completed. We encourage you to complete your application early.
2. Personal Statement
As part of your Bridges Program application, you will be asked to include a personal statement. Personal statements help us become acquainted with you in ways different from courses, grades, test scores, and other objective data. They demonstrate your ability to organize thoughts and express yourself. In 250-300 words each, please respond to both prompts below:
1. Counselor Recommendation: school counselors should complete and submit an electronic recommendation form for each student who is applying to the Bridges Program. Counselors will receive an email from Miami University with a link to each student's recommendation form.
*Applicants are responsible for following up with their school counselor regarding the submission of the counselor recommendation. Students can check the status of their counselor recommendation by visiting their Applicant Status Page.
For additional information about the application process, Bridges Program Scholarships, Transportation, and more, please visit the Application FAQs.