Students with professor


Do I have to live in university housing?

All first- and second-year full-time students are required to live in university housing, with the following exceptions: you are at least 21 years of age by the first day of class; you reside with a parent, legal guardian, spouse, or dependent child(ren); you are employed full-time; or you have matriculated full-time for at least two years at another institution of higher education or a regional campus. For more information on housing requirements, see Policies & Contracts.

When will I find out where I'm living in university housing?

Upon receipt of your confirmation deposit and signed Residence Hall and Meal Plan Contract, space will be reserved for you in university housing. You will get your housing assignment by email in late July (fall semester) or late December (spring semester), which will include information about your room and instructions for accessing your MyCard account. Using MyCard, you can review additional details, including information about your roommate and your meal plan.

Can I request a specific roommate?

Yes, you can request a specific roommate; however, each student involved is responsible for contacting the Office of Student Housing and Meal Plan Services.

If you want to room with another incoming transfer student, both of you must request the other individual on your housing contract. If you want to room with a current Miami student, you must request that student on your housing contract and the current student must request you as a roommate by contacting the Office of Student Housing and Meal Plan Services.

Where can I get information about finding a place that's non-university housing?

You can visit Associated Student Government's website, which provides information about living in non-university housing.

Can I choose a meal plan if I'm living in non-university housing?

Yes! In fact, more than 5,000 students who live in non-university housing purchase meal plans. After learning more about our non-University housing options, you can sign up for a plan online.

What happens if I change my mind about attending Miami after I've submitted my confirmation deposit?

If you decide to cancel your admission after submitting the deposit, you must notify the Office of Admission in writing. The offer of admission and your deposit pertain ONLY to the semester for which you applied and cannot be applied to a later term.

Miami University does not typically grant a deferral on an offer of admission. Only under extreme circumstances such as military orders, certain medical conditions, or study abroad for academic credit will the university grant such a deferral. Each request for deferral is handled on a case-by-case basis. Please contact Sarah Unger at 513-529-8507 if you qualify to request a deferral.

Why is a final transcript required if I've already been accepted?

A final transcript from the college/university you previously attended is required for the following reasons:

  • Our offer of acceptance is based upon review of your high school transcript or college coursework completed prior to application. A final transcript reflects your performance in current coursework also.
  • Your final transcript should demonstrate consistent effort in maintaining your grade point average. The expectation is that all accepted students will maintain a cumulative 2.5 GPA in all college coursework. If your final transcript shows that you did not meet this expectation, we reserve the right to withdraw our offer of admission.

How do I change my major?

If you chose a major on your application, you are admitted to the university in the academic division (or college) offering that major. (If no major was indicated, you are admitted into the College of Arts and Science as an undecided major.) If you are now prepared to choose a major, or you want to change your major, you should contact the appropriate division.

Be aware that most majors in the College of Creative Arts (architecture, studio art, interior design, music, music performance, theatre, and art and music education) require an audition or portfolio review. Some beginning classes in these majors are open to all non-majors. The Farmer School of Business also has additional admission requirements.

When will I register for classes? Will I do this during Orientation?

Advising/Registration and Orientation are two separate events for transfer students.

Prior to registration, you are required to meet with an adviser from your academic division. You will not be able to register for classes until you fulfill this requirement.

If your major is offered by the College of Arts and Science, they will send you information about their "group" advising/registration sessions. If your major is offered by a different division, you must contact that division (see phone numbers below) to schedule an individual session.

College of Arts and Science
Farmer School of Business
College of Creative Arts
College of Education, Health, and Society
College of Engineering and Computing


Transfer students are encouraged to attend a special Orientation session held prior to the start of classes. At Orientation, you will be introduced to academics at Miami, meet other students, learn about campus resources, and get a head start on the semester. Many transfer students meet with an adviser and register for classes prior to Orientation to avoid the rush; however, advising and registration are available at Orientation as well.

To learn more about Orientation or to register to attend, please visit the Office of New Student Programs.

What credit will I receive for AP exam scores?

While Miami does award AP credit for some scores*, this credit does not transfer from one institution to another. Each time you transfer, the College Board must send your credit to the new college/university. The fee for each transcript is $15. You can call the College Board at 888-225-5427 (toll-free) or mail your request to the following address:

AP Exams
P.O. Box 6671
Princeton, NJ 08541-6671

Include your full name; gender; birthdate; AP # or SSN #; year of the exam(s); name, city, and state of the college to receive your scores (Miami University, Oxford, OH); and the college code (Miami's CEEB code is 1463).

If more than four years have passed since you took the AP exam(s), you must mail your request (along with $25 per recipient). In addition to the information listed above, include your former name (if applicable), current mailing address, daytime phone number, name of the exam, and name of the high school you attended.

*For acceptable AP scores, see AP and IB Credit.

What are costs for tuition, room/board and fees at Miami?

For information on costs, see Tuition and Costs. Once you register for classes, you will receive a bill from the Office of the Bursar.

How can I arrange a campus visit?

The Office of Admission hosts several Transfer Preview Days throughout each semester. These are a great way to learn more about Miami. You can also schedule individual advising appointments by contacting your academic division.

I have a question that hasn't been answered here. Is there someone I can talk to?

You can contact Sarah Unger, our transfer coordinator, at 513-529-8507 or