Department of Statistics
The Department of Statistics provides students with a thorough grounding in statistical ideas, skills valued by employers, and opportunities for advanced study. We are committed to scholarship in statistics and relish collaborations with colleagues within and without the University.
- Ensure that all students who take STA courses become intelligent users of statistical information;
- Educate and prepare undergraduate students in our programs for employment and/or graduate study;
- Extend the statistical expertise of our graduate students so they are prepared for employment or doctoral study;
- Advance the knowledge base in the statistical sciences by adapting, extending, and enhancing current methodology as well as by developing new statistical methodology and applications;
- Ensure that high-quality and appropriate statistical methodology is used by fellow researchers at Miami University;
- Contribute to the ongoing operation of the University at the Departmental, Divisional, and University levels by being valuable members of the University community; and
- Contribute to the community of professional statisticians by engagement with the life and activities of professional statistical societies.
The Department of Statistics offers dynamic events for exploring the latest developments in data analysis and fostering collaboration within the statistical community and they also serve to enhance the interdisciplinary experience.