Skip to Main Content

How to Request Temporary Accommodations

Students experiencing a temporary injury or severe, persistent illness (e.g. 3-6 month duration) for which they will need accommodations or assistive technology (e.g. extended testing time, speech to text software, computer for essay exams) should affiliate for SDS services.

Affiliation Steps

  • Submit a new student application in the SAM: Students Accessing Miami Portal.
  • Include verifying documentation of your injury or illness with your application for services.
  • The application and documentation will be reviewed within 7-10 business days.
  • Upon review, you will be contacted by a staff member to schedule an Access Consultation and discuss accommodations that can be used during your recovery.

When to Contact the Office of the Dean of Students

The Office of the Dean of Students will coordinate notification of class absences when a student experiences hospitalization or death of an immediate family member. If feasible, students are also encouraged to contact their professors. Students experiencing a personal emergency other than hospitalization or death should notify and work directly with faculty to determine arrangements related to absences or missed assignments during the time of crisis.

Temporary Accommodation FAQs

"I've been really sick with a cold, flu, mono or strep throat. Can SDS contact all of my faculty to let them know I'm sick and won't be able to attend class or complete assignments?"

SDS does not contact faculty for students experiencing short term illness. You should contact each faculty member individually to make them aware of your illness and coordinate appropriate arrangements for coursework.

"I broke my limb or am recovering from surgery. Can SDS shuttle me by golf cart, provide me a wheelchair or give me a permit to park close to my classes?"

SDS does not provide golf cart shuttling, parking permits or recommend elevated parking privileges. Students with temporary mobility impairment should use Miami’s accessible parking and transportation resources.

Students who are utilizing mobility aids such as electric scooters, wheelchairs, canes or crutches are advised to research the most accessible route to get to and from class. Wheelchairs, scooters, crutches and other mobility devices are considered personal devices and are not provided for loan by SDS.

If a personal mobility aid is needed, students may contact Stateline Medical Equipment at (866) 574-3947 to inquire about rentable equipment available for delivery.

"I’m already affiliated with SDS for my disability and now I have a temporary injury or severe, persistent illness that I need accommodations for. Do I need to reapply for services to receive temporary accommodation?"

Students who are currently affiliated with SDS due to disability should contact their assigned Access Coordinator if they need additional accommodations for a temporary injury or severe, persistent illness.

Aerial View of the Oxford Campus
Contact Us

The Miller Center for Student Disability Services

304 Shriver Center
701 E. Spring St.
Oxford, OH 45056