The Mallory-Wilson Center provides Miami University pre-healthcare students with significant, in-depth, firsthand experience by offering opportunities to shadow and work with a practicing physician.
Preceptorship opportunities are not limited to areas near Miami University. Participating physicians are located throughout the United States. Typically, placement occurs during winter or spring break, or during the 1st or 2nd week following the end of the academic year.
Application, Requirements, and Obligations
Deadlines for shadowing typically fall 8 weeks before each academic break. To apply, complete the Canvas shadowing module and application checklist, including:
- Submit a completed Mercy Health Shadowing Application Form
- Successfully complete Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) training and Bloodborne Pathogen (BPP) training through Miami University
- View the preceptorship and shadowing training session
- Complete your required vaccinations
For more information about these preceptorships, please contact:
Mallory-Wilson Center for Healthcare Education
Miami University, 106 Pearson Hall
Oxford, OH 45056
The student must have attended Miami University for at least one academic year. Participants must have achieved at least a 3.20 overall GPA and have completed at least one year of physical science and biological science requirements with at least a 3.0 GPA in the physical and biological sciences area.
The student is expected to have a strong desire and intention of entering the healthcare profession; prior participation in extracurricular activities and some healthcare experiences are expected.
- Submit results of a recent blood test if the shadowing experience requires it.
- Maintain confidentially of patients and the physician's practice.
- Adhere to the arranged schedule; do not disrupt the physician's schedule or routine.
- Maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
- Only actively participate when invited by the physician to do so.
- Ask questions when appropriate.
- Maintain a daily written log of activities, due within 30 days after completion of the shadowing experience.
- Submit a completed Student Evaluation Form within 30 days after completion of the shadowing experience. This form is emailed to you.
- If possible, bring back 2 to 3 digital photos of you with the physician that can be used for publicity. Please send photos to the Mallory-Wilson Center (mallorywilsoncenter@MiamiOH.edu).
The student is responsible for all of the expenses associated with the shadowing experience, including travel and meals.
Termination of Shadowing Experience
The physician may terminate a shadowing experience in progress for any appropriate reason, including unprofessional behavior on the part of the student or a sudden, unanticipated change in the physician's schedule which precludes completion of the experience.