Excellence and Expertise

Faculty honored for work and leadership inside and outside Farmer School classrooms

Nearly three dozen Farmer School faculty were honored last week for their efforts.

Joseph Nwankpa, Arthur Carvalho, and Riley Acton at the award ceremony
Excellence and Expertise

A group of Farmer School faculty received awards last week that recognized their efforts and leadership at Miami University in recent months.

Twenty five faculty members received the Prodesse Quam Conspici Award, inspired by Miami's motto which means "to accomplish without being conspicuous." The award honors those who embody servant leadership with great humility.

The winning faculty members were:

• Chad Anderson
  • Lee Biggerstaff
  • Michael Conger
  • Jim Coyle
  • Becky Crews
  • David Eyman
  • Michele Frank
  • Megan Gerhardt
  • Chelsea Green
  • Haim Kassa
  • Gabe Lee
  • Waldyn Martinez
  • Carol McGuire
  • Karen Meyers
  • Joseph Nwankpa
  • Darryl Rice
  • Maciej Rysz
  • Pete Salzarulo
  • Zhe 'Jay" Shan
  • Jan Taylor
  • Maria Weese
  • Chris Welter
  • David Yin

Several other faculty received the Creativity and Innovation Award, given "in recognition of the wonder, zeal, focus, curiosity, fortitude, and resourcefulness applied to advance the university and the Miami community:"

• Riley Acton
  • Tom Boulton
  • Bob Dahlstrom
  • Lisa Ellram
  • Hannah Lee
  • Peter Nguyen

Arthur Carvalho and Allison Jones-Farmer received both awards.

“I feel like one thing that I teach the students is to not do just what they're told, but to do what they're capable of,” Eyman said. “I'm capable of doing a couple extra things and I like doing those things. So I do those things, and I think this award is the university’s way of saying, ‘We acknowledge that you've done some extra things that you weren't necessarily obligated to do, but you did them anyway.’”

“I am thankful for great students, colleagues, and administrators who make this job an awesome one,” Acton said in a LinkedIn post.

“A gigantic thank you to our leadership team at the Farmer School of Business and from the Information Systems and Analytics department for all the unwavering support to many of my academic endeavors,” Carvalho said in a LinkedIn post. “Together with our bright students and engaged alumni, you all make Miami University such a great place to work.”