Skip to Main Content

Transferring to Miami University


To be eligible for a SEVIS transfer, F-1 and J-1 students must meet the following criteria:

  1. Currently attend a high school or college in the U.S.
  2. Have maintained legal status
  3. Apply for and gain admission to Miami University
  4. Start studies within five months or less of one of the following:
    1. Degree program completion at previous school
    2. Last date of enrollment at previous school
    3. Optional Practical Training end date or record release date, depending on timing.
  5. Report to new school within 15 days of Miami transfer pending I-20 or Miami DS-2019 start date.

Please note there are other timing considerations and you will wish to discuss your record release with your current school. Your current school will likely need a copy of your Miami University admission offer.



If you have been admitted to Miami University and have confirmed your intent to enroll at Miami University, please complete the following steps:

In order to transfer to Miami University from another U.S. school, contact the International Student Advisor at the institution where you are currently enrolled or where you last attended. Inform the school that you intend to transfer to Miami University.

Miami University’s SEVIS school codes are:

  • F-1 student program code—Oxford (main) campus: CLE214F10411000
  • F-1 student program code—Middletown campus: CLE214F10411002
  • F-1 student program code—Hamilton campus: CLE214F10411001

To receive your I-20 or DS-2019, complete the SEVIS Transfer In request online through InterLink.

  1. Login to InterLink
  2. Login with your Miami unique ID and password.
    1. Unsure what your ID is? Recover your unique ID.
    2. Forgot your password? Reset your password.
  3. Once logged in, navigate to “Admission and Orientation” on the menu and select “SEVIS Transfer In Request.”
  4. Fill out the required information and submit.
    1. Proof of financial support: Upload a document showing how you will fund your studies (bank statement, certificate of deposit, graduate assistantship, etc.).
    2. Proof of transfer eligibility: Upload copies of your I-20 or DS-2019, visa, and I-94 record.
    3. Your contact information
    4. Contact information of your international student advisor at your current school

After you submit your request, connect with your current school’s international office in case they require additional information or forms for your transfer. Once your current school electronically transfers your SEVIS record to Miami University, your transfer will be approved and your new “transfer pending” I-20 or DS-2019 will be issued. Students in F-1 status, please note that generally, your current school cannot transfer your record until you complete your studies for that term. For this reason, most transfers are typically completed by ISSS in June and July (fall transfers) or December and January (spring transfers).

Once your transfer is approved by ISSS, you will be issued a “transfer pending” I-20 and email your I-20 to your Miami email account. If you are outside of the U.S., you will be able to enter the U.S. with this I-20 or DS-2019 one time.


If you have been admitted to Miami University and have confirmed your intent to enroll at Miami University, please complete the following steps:

Please email to set up an appointment with ISSS. Transfer of a J-1 record can be complicated depending on your exchange visitor category, subject of study, and timing.

Miami University’s SEVIS school code:

J - 1 student program code: P- 1 -00001


During orientation, you must check in with ISSS and submit copies of your documents (passport, visa, I-20s or DS-2019s, and entry stamp). You must also verify your local U.S. address and phone number.

After students in F-1 status register for classes and start your studies at Miami, ISSS will complete the transfer and issue you an updated I-20 showing your transfer is done.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a new visa?

Students in F-1 status: If your current F-1 visa is valid and you have been approved for a SEVIS transfer, you do NOT need to apply for a new visa. You will not experience problems continuing to use this visa.

If your F-1 visa is expired and you are traveling outside the U.S., you will need to apply for a new visa before reentering the U.S. You must use your Miami University I-20 to apply for the visa and reenter the U.S.

Students in J-1 status: If you travel outside the U.S. prior to attending Miami, you must obtain a new visa before returning to the U.S. You must use your Miami DS-2019 to apply for the visa and reenter the U.S.

But my visa has my old school’s name—won’t that cause problems?

Students in F-1 status: No, you will still be able to use your current, unexpired visa to re-enter the U.S. even though it has your previous school’s name printed on it. Because you have maintained the same SEVIS record as listed on your visa (check the number that starts with “N”) your visa is still valid.

Students in J-1 status: Yes, that is why you must obtain a new visa. Government regulations require J-1 visas to reflect the correct school name and program information.

Do I need to pay the SEVIS fee again?

No, you do not need to pay the SEVIS fee again if you have been approved for transfer.

Can I stay in the U.S. after I finish my studies at my previous school until starting classes at Miami?

Yes, provided you are eligible for a SEVIS transfer and procedures are followed correctly.

International Students and Scholars

Sign-Up for Email Updates

Use the link below to sign up to receive emails from ISSS. Please note that if you are currently enrolled in Miami University courses as an international student or scholar, you will automatically be added to this list.

Sign up for Email Updates

Read Past Newsletters