Skip to Main Content

Completing Hiring Paperwork for Students

In order to begin work, you will need to complete the following paperwork.


  • Oxford Campus: Human Resources, 15 Roudebush Hall (513-529-8722)
  • Hamilton or Middletown Campus: Call ahead (513-727-3388) to schedule this meeting, 135 Johnston, Monday – Friday - 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.


Direct Deposit

Direct deposit instructions can be found under payroll > direct deposit.

Ohio Public Employees Retirement System

Miami students who are enrolled for a minimum of 3 credit hours per term have the option to join or exempt themselves from paying into OPERS. When a student completes their employment paperwork, they will complete either an enrollment or exemption form for OPERS. If a student chooses to exempt themselves from OPERS but at a later date (summer included) falls below the 3 credit hour limit, their status will automatically switch to being enrolled in OPERS then back to exempt after meeting the credit requirement.

If a student has a break in employment (not employed and then hired into a position) they will be required to complete a new OPERS form. They will have the option to enroll or exempt themselves.

Students (from other universities or in high school) who are not enrolled at Miami are required to enroll in OPERS. If at any time the student is enrolled at Miami University for a minimum of 3 credit hours per term, they have the option to exempt themselves from OPERS. The exemption form must be completed within the 30 day window.

More OPERS information can be found under benefits > retirement.

Form W-4

To withhold the correct income taxes from your pay, you must complete both federal and state income tax withholding forms. 

Form I-9

Federal regulations require Miami to verify your identity and employment eligibility. You will need to bring the proper identification with you to assist in completing the I-9 at the appropriate University office.

Please note: Failure to complete the I-9 and submit the proper identification will result in the termination of your employment with Miami.

Confidentiality Agreement (If Applicable)

Per Miami's Confidential Information Policy, all student employees that have access to confidential information must sign the Student-Employee Confidentiality Agreement, a form you can access through the Office of General Counsel's Contracts.

Any breach of confidentiality by the student may result in student disciplinary action and/or the termination of employment. Intentional or deliberate violations may be cause for criminal or civil sanctions.

Background Check (If Applicable)

Miami requires criminal background checks on student employees who are designated residential youth camp employees, or otherwise required by law or designated by the University. If this applies to you, your supervisor can help you with the process. You can find more details under Manager Resources > Student Employee Supervision > Hiring Paperwork.

Please note: Although Resident Assistants and SOULS are not employees, they are required to have new employee background checks, but not fingerprint-based background checks. See MUPIM 16.16 for details about minors on campus.

Work Permits and Parental Consent Forms for Minors

Minors (ages 16-17) must complete a work permit and have their parents or legal guardians sign a parental consent form

More information can be found under Student Employees > Working as a Minor.

Special Instructions for International Students

Due to federal and state regulations, international students have unique paperwork requirements that must be completed to work for Miami.

If you are an international student who has been hired for a position at Miami, you must visit Payroll Services (Roudebush Hall, room 2) and then Student Employment (Roudebush Hall, room 15) between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday-Friday. There, you will complete a Foreign National Information Form and an OPERS Exemption Form.

You should also bring the following documentation:

  • Unexpired passport.
  • Visa.
  • Green card (if applicable).
  • An I-94 card (please complete before you arrive).
  • Form I-20 or DS2019 (which you can acquire at International Student and Scholar Services, 513-529-5628). These should be completed before you arrive.
  • Proper documentation for identification for completing the Form I-9 (see the instructions for a list of acceptable identification documents). All U.S. employers must complete and retain a Form I-9 for each individual they hire for employment in the United States. This includes citizens and non-citizens.
  • Social Security card: All international student employees must obtain a Social Security card for tax purposes.

Our Mission

Working alongside the various departments and units within Miami University, we strive to recruit, cultivate, acknowledge, and involve a diverse pool of talent to fulfill their goals and the overarching goals of the institution.