Ways to Help
- Be patient and understand there is not a formula for healing from the wounds of trauma.
- Respect the other person's perspective. Persons may have different understandings of what occurred and how harmful it was. Avoid assigning blame.
- Support the person's need for understanding. You do not have to possess the answers to the difficult questions the trauma raises.
- Provide support at the level the survivor desires. Inquire about how to be helpful while respecting the other person's limits.
- Encourage your friend to seek assistance from a trained professional to help cope with the suffering that often accompanies the experience of trauma.