Employee Emergency Resources
Miami's Crisis Management Team is prepared to respond to crises that could seriously affect the safety of the Miami community and the university’s ability to carry on normal operations. Such crises include (but are not limited to) fires, damaging weather events, large-scale chemical emergencies and shootings. The CMT oversees the Continuous Operations Plan.
From feeding and housing students to preserving academic functions, to communicating and issuing regular paychecks, numerous steps will be taken to restore university functions as soon as possible following a significant disruption.
Employees in a Crisis
All official communications in a crisis must come from University Communications and Marketing; links to UCM-provided information may be shared in other university social media or news outlets.
During a crisis, employees should do the following.
- Make contact with your manager by telephone/text.
- As is relevant, tell him or her your:
- Personal and family status.
- Immediate needs.
- Where you can be contacted.
- Details of crucial job activities, in case someone else needs to perform them for you.
- Staff are expected to report to work unless otherwise directed by your office or the vice president.
- Monitor the following communications media for university information:
- Miamoh.edu and myMiami.
- Radio – WVXU 88.5 FM/WMUB 91.7 FM, WLW 700 AM, WMOH 1450 FM.
- Local television stations.
- Place cell phone calls only as needed. Texts use less bandwidth and will prevent/stall overload capacity on cell towers.
All official communications in a crisis must come from University Communications and Marketing or law enforcement; links to UCM-provided information may be shared in other university social media or news outlets.
Departments are encouraged to prepare for emergencies by knowing the evacuation procedures for your building and by having an office or departmental phone tree.
Other personal health and safety information on topics such as stress management and ergonomic work space is offered by Miami University's benefits and wellness office within human resources.