Microbiology Research at Miami
Discover the diversity of research being conducted by our faculty members. Among their range of interests are:
- Microbial Pathogenesis - the mechanisms by which microbes cause disease and by which we defend ourselves against them,
- Environmental Microbiology - the importance of microbes to a healthy functioning ecosystem and their role in extreme environments,
- Molecular Microbiology - the molecular basis of the physiological processes that occur in microbes and their hosts, including studies of gene regulation and protein structure/function.
Get the most out of your undergraduate microbiology training by getting involved in undergraduate research; more than half of our majors participate in Microbiology research programs. Contact our faculty with research programs that interest you to explore the possibilities. Additional information about undergraduate research opportunities and grant deadlines is available to help in developing your research plans.
Our graduate students are involved in a wide range of research activities; evidence of their productivity and accomplishments is showcased in Graduate Research. In addition, a variety of graduate funding opportunities, fellowships and awards, training certification and research conferences, are available to fund and/or support the research of our graduate students.
Explore the range of microbiology research facilities at Miami.
- Center for Bioinformatics and Functional Genomics (CBFG) at Miami University is a state-of-the-art research and training facility available for all members of the university. The CBFG provides tools for preparing DNA samples for research and for determining the sequence of these DNA samples..
- Center for Advanced Microscopy and Imaging (CAMI) is an all-University research, teaching and service facility. The EMF provides instruction and consultation in transmission and scanning electron microscopy, light microscopy, and digital imaging for undergraduates, graduates, post-docs, faculty, and staff.
- Ecology Research Center (ERC) is a focal site for pertinent ecological research and exceptional educational activities in southwest Ohio. The ERC provides multiple field sites and facilities for aquatic research, terrestrial research, ecological activities, and classroom lectures.
- Animal Care Facilities are housed next door in the Psychology Building. These facilities provide a modern, state-of-the-art, self-contained complex which includes 15 animal rooms, two quarantine rooms, three laboratories, two aquatic rooms, four environmental chambers and a cage washing/sterilization area. Two animal rooms are designated for the study of class 1 and class 2 agents of infectious disease. Technical staff are available to assist and supervise animal care.
ORU provides a central focus for the encouragement and support of undergraduate research at Miami University. It administers a variety of funding and exhibition programs for undergraduates, including the Undergraduate Research Award Program (URA), the Undergraduate Summer Scholars (USS), the Doctoral Undergraduate Opportunity Scholarships (DUOS), the Undergraduate Presentation Award (UPA), and the Undergraduate Research Forum (URF).
OARS is the central office that provides assistance with internal and external funding opportunities. It's mission is to encourage, facilitate, and support the Miami University community in all forms of research, education, scholarly, creative, service, and outreach activities.