Skip to Main Content

New Hires in Academic Affairs

Welcome, new faculty and staff to Miami University. We look forward to meeting you. The first few weeks here will be busy ones. With the goal of providing as much support as possible, we have outlined a process to ensure a smooth transition to Miami.

Graduate students, please review New Appointment in the Toolbox for Graduate Assistants.

New Appointments for Faculty and Unclassified Staff

Transcript Requirements

When degrees are required for a position, Miami University requires verification. Please request that a certified transcript(s) be sent to Academic Personnel Services. Degree certification should be completed before employment begins.

Once you have received a Welcome Letter (offer) from the Provost:

Accept your offer

  • Send your letter of acceptance to Academic Personnel Services, 1 Roudebush Hall 
  • Submit the Personnel Data Sheet as instructed in your Welcome letter.

Complete the I-9 Form

Complete an I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form on or before the first day of employment.

  • Check the list of acceptable documents and bring them with you to Academic Personnel Services, 1 Roudebush Hall. Regional faculty may visit the Business Services Office on Hamilton or Middletown campuses.
  • Only original documents are acceptable. Documents cannot be expired.

Obtain a Miami University ID card

Visit the appropriate campus location to obtain a Miami University ID card. You must present a photo ID to confirm identification.

Attend a New Hire Orientation Session

Attend a New Hire Orientation session at Employee Benefits & Wellness within the first month of employment where, among other things, you will choose your insurance plan and retirement plan. Sessions will take approximately two hours.

  • A representative from Employee Benefits & Wellness will email you to schedule your session.
  • Authorization forms to obtain parking passes will be given to new employees at Orientation or in Academic Personnel Services.

Parking Permits

Obtain a parking permit (if needed) from Parking Services, 15 Campus Avenue Building (513) 529-8535. In order to secure a parking hangtag, you must show your driver's license, a valid vehicle registration, and proof of insurance.

Adjunct Faculty (unpaid professional association only)

  • Return a signed copy of the Personnel Data Sheet and Acceptance form.
  • If you need a parking permit, Academic Personnel Services can provide you with the required documentation.

New Employee FAQs

How do I get email?

Information from your Personnel Data Sheet and appointment form will be used to enter your employment record on the university database. Through an overnight process, an email account will automatically be generated for you. Academic Personnel will respond via email with your UniqueID and default password that will assist you with logging into your email account. If you have any further questions, please contact Academic Personnel Services.

How do I change my campus address?

Access BannerWeb to update your campus address and phone number. After logging in, select the Employee Service Online tab.

How do I change my personal information?

Changes such as your home address, telephone, and emergency contact may be made through BannerWeb. After logging in, select the Personal Information tab.

However, if you need to change your name, you must provide legal documentation and come to the Academic Personnel Services office, Room 1, Roudebush Hall.

What are my benefits?

Eligibility for University-provided benefits are based on the terms of your employment. Benefits may include:

  • Medical Insurance
  • Dental Insurance
  • Vision Insurance
  • Life Insurance
  • Retirement Plans
  • Vacation* & Sick Leave
  • Tuition Fee Waivers

* Faculty do not accrue vacation.

To view more information visit Employee Benefits and Wellness.

What if I need help to obtain work authorization to work at Miami?

Email Bess Sprockett or call (513) 529-7268 with questions concerning work authorization.