Moving to Oxford, Ohio
This guide offers information about living, working, and playing in Oxford and the surrounding metropolitan area.
Oxford is located 30 miles northwest of Cincinnati, 35 miles southwest of Dayton, and about 5 miles east of the state boundary separating Ohio and Indiana. See for yourself why we love to call Oxford and Miami University home!
Something for Everyone
Living in a college town has its benefits! The City of Oxford is home to approximately 22,000 people; over 44% of the population is between the age of 20 and 24 due to the strong influence of Miami University. But students aren't the only ones having fun! There's always something going on, even when school's out.
Miami Programs and Centers
Located in Phillips Hall, this Center houses a ceramics/pottery studio, a digital photo lab, woodshop, sewing, and metals/jewelry/glass studio. Studios are used for CraftSummer and CraftWinter workshops as well as sprint (1.5 credit hour) courses during the academic year.
Staffed by faculty and students (both undergraduate and graduate) from the Art Education area, Saturday Art serves the greater Oxford community and is open to anyone from ages 4 through adult. Courses meet each Saturday for six weeks with a final celebration/exhibition taking place on the seventh week.
Global Initiatives' Continuing Education administers a variety of programs for learners of all ages. Participants can enroll in courses to enhance professional skills, develop global competencies, or to explore a creative interest.
- Youth Programming includes activities such as sports camps and lessons, writing workshops, and foreign language/culture.
- Institute for Learning in Retirement promotes opportunities for individuals 50 and older to explore areas within science, the arts, society, technology, literature, languages, business, economics, and other subjects of interest.
Children from Oxford and surrounding areas enjoy a variety of youth programs and camps sponsored by Miami University. Programs are offered after school, on weekends, and during the summer.
Greater Cincinnati Organizations and Centers
- African-American Chamber of Commerce, Greater Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky
- Asian Community Alliance - Greater Cincinnati Area
- Chinese American Association of Cincinnati
- Cincinnati Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Cincinnati Pride
- World Affairs Council in Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky
- Greater Cincinnati Latino Coalition
- NAACP Cincinnati Branch
- Urban League of Greater Southwestern Ohio
- YWCA of Greater Cincinnati
Greater Dayton Organizations and Centers
Miami University College of Creative Arts
- Performing Arts Series
- Department of Music Performances
- Department of Theatre Performances
- Art Museum
- William Holmes McGuffey Museum
Oxford-area Visual and Performing Arts
- Oxford Area Community Theatre (OxACT)
- Oxford Community Arts Center
- Oxford Summer Music Festival
- Fitton Center for Creative Arts (Hamilton, OH, 14 miles from Oxford)
- Pyramid Hill Sculpture Park (Hamilton, OH, 16.5 miles from Oxford)
Local Movie Theaters
- Holiday Auto Theatre (Drive-in; 8 miles from Oxford)
1816 Old Oxford Road, Hamilton, OH 45013
- AMC Showplace Hamilton 8 (9 miles from Oxford)
1453 Main St. Hamilton, OH 45013
- Brookville Theatre (15 miles from Oxford)
16 W. 5th St., Brookville, IN 47012
Worth the Drive
Make a day of it and check out these favorite destinations!
- Jungle Jim's International Market (Fairfield, OH, 20 miles from Oxford)
- Metamora, Indiana (1838 canal town, 24 miles from Oxford)
- Kings Island (Mason, OH, 32 miles from Oxford)
- Waynesville, Ohio ("Antiques Capital of the Midwest," 40 miles from Oxford)
- Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum (Cincinnati, OH, 41 miles from Oxford)
- National Museum of the United States Air Force (Fairborn, OH, 50 miles from Oxford)
- Arc of Appalachia Wilderness: Highlands Nature Sanctuary (Bainbridge, OH, 98 miles from Oxford)
- Cincinnati Hispanic Festival
- Cincinnati Juneteenth Festival
- Cincinnati Music Festival
- Cincinnati Zoo Festival of Lights
- Cincy Blues Fest
- Fountain Square (arts, culture, dance, music, and more)
- Global Initiatives Events at Miami University
- Holiday in Lights
- May Festival
- Midwest Regional Black Family Reunion
- Ohio Renaissance Festival
- Panegyri Greek Festival
- SummerFair Cincinnati
- Taste of Cincinnati
Purchase tickets for all Miami athletic events, find out about summer youth camps, and learn why Miami is known throughout the sports world as the "Cradle of Coaches."
Memberships for community, faculty/staff and students. Family-oriented activities include summer camps for children, youth climbing club, community intramural sports, the Aquatic Center's Red Cross Learn to Swim program and MAKOS swim and dive team for area youth.
Offering ice related activities including public skating, ‘Learn to Play’ programming for both skating and hockey, competitive figure skating through the Miami Skating Academy, travel hockey leagues within Miami Youth Hockey, adult hockey teams and summer camps for hockey, figure skating and synchronized skating.
Located around the campus, the Miami University Natural Areas comprise over 1000 acres with 17 miles of hiking trails.
Oxford boasts many community parks and facilities. The TRI Community Center Complex, located at 6025 Fairfield Road, houses basketball courts inside and out, a baseball diamond, picnic shelter, outdoor grills, outdoor pool, skate park, a preschool playground, and a school-age play structure. Programs include summer camps, after school child care programs, and youth sports.
6200 Contreras Rd, Oxford
9 hole golf course and pool
2600 Oxford Millville Rd, Oxford
18 holes sculpted from gently rolling terrain
(5 miles from Oxford)
6301 Park Office Road, College Corner, Ohio 45003
18 hole championship golf course, plus nearly 3,000 acres of natural resources for outdoor recreation such as hiking, fishing, canoeing, and fossil hunting. The park surrounds 625-acre Acton Lake, with campsites, cabins, and a resort lodge.
(5 miles from Oxford)
8501 Camden College Corner Rd., College Corner, OH 45003
26 acre private campground
(32 miles from Oxford)
19074 Perfect Lane, Lawrenceburg, IN 47025
23 ski trails, ranging from beginner to expert.
Includes the Cincinnati Reds and the Bengals, plus Cincinnati Cyclones hockey (ECHL)
Includes Dayton Dragons (minor league baseball) and Dayton Dutch Lions (futbol), among others
Employment at Miami
Butler County Resources
- Butler County Economic Development (contains data on Butler County's largest employers)
- OhioMeansJobs Butler County
State of Ohio Resources
Learn about some of the facilities and services available to the Oxford community. The list is not intended to promote individual healthcare providers.
Miami University has partnered with TriHealth to provide on-campus, high-quality care on the Oxford campus for students and Miami employees and their dependents. The facility is located in the Clinical Health Sciences building on S. Campus Avenue.
Call 513-529-3000 to schedule an appointment.
McCullough-Hyde Memorial Hospital
110 N. Poplar St., Oxford 45056
Kettering Health Hospital (10.64 miles from Oxford)
630 Eaton Ave., Hamilton 45013
Bethesda Butler Hospital (14.65 miles from Oxford)
3125 Hamilton Mason Rd., Hamilton 45011
Mercy Health - Fairfield Hospital (17.45 miles from Oxford)
3000 Mack Rd., Fairfield
West Chester Hospital (22.2 miles from Oxford)
7700 University Dr., West Chester 45069
Atrium Medical Center (22.94 miles from Oxford)
One Medical Center Dr., Middletown 45005
Reid Health System (23.48 miles from Oxford)
1941 Virginia Ave., Connersville, IN 47331
Schools and Libraries
Miami University Child Development Center
(Mini University, Inc.)
401 Western College Drive, Oxford
Oxford Parks and Recreation Department Preschool
6025 Fairfield Rd., Oxford
Pre-K - 12
Talawanda School District (Public)
McGuffey Montessori School (Private, Pre-K-8)
5128 Westgate Drive, Oxford
Talawanda School District's Partnership with Miami
The Talawanda/Miami Partnership has provided collaborative opportunities for thousands of students from both settings since its inception in 2001. Faculty and staff from the Talawanda Schools and Miami University work together to improve learning through the cultivation of mutually beneficial projects, events, and activities.
Visit SchoolDigger.com to search schools by zip code or city, and to view test scores, rankings, school and district boundaries, student/teacher ratios, ethnic makeup, and other useful metrics.
- Archdiocese of Cincinnati Parochial Schools Locator
- Cincinnati Area Public and Private Schools
- Eaton Community Schools
- Edgewood City Schools
- Hamilton City School District
- Fairfield City School District
- Franklin County Community Schools (Indiana)
- Lakota Local Schools
- Middletown City Schools
- Monroe Local Schools
- New Miami Local Schools
- Preble Shawnee Local Schools
- Richard Allen Schools (Hamilton, OH and Dayton, OH)
- Ross Local Schools
- Union County College Corner Joint School District (College Corner, OH and Liberty, IN)
The Lane Libraries (Oxford, Hamilton, Fairfield)