Kinesiology

Meet Annemarie

Meet Annemarie, a Kinesiology major from Kansas City, Missouri (Park Hill High School), and learn about her experience at Miami University.

Annemarie
Kinesiology

Meet Annemarie

Favorite space on campus:

Armstrong! There are so many places to sit and hang out, so whether you're studying for an exam or grabbing lunch with friends, there's a place for you.

Why Miami?

I appreciated the balance between athletics, social life, and academics that Miami offered. I knew that Miami had very successful academics, and also had the resources to provide me opportunities that I would not get elsewhere. I also knew they had a good reputation in my field, so I knew my degree would carry some weight.

What advice you would give to your first-year self?

Don't worry about what people think about you! Just be yourself, and the right people will find you.

Tell us something about your major:

I love the hands-on nature of Kinesiology and the resources/devices that Miami is able to provide really enhance that. Kinesiology is definitely an interesting path of study and can be helpful for a variety of different career paths, but it does take a bit of work, so make sure you have the time and dedication to put into it!

Research experience:

I am involved in research with Dr. Alessio. It has been an amazing experience being involved in research since my first year, and being able to follow to project through the planning, testing, analysis, and now presentation/paper writing has been so cool. Being able to present our findings has also been a very valuable opportunity (both at Miami and other professional conferences).

Student organizations/activities:

• Marching Band
  • Band Board
  • Delta Epsilon Mu
  • Honors College

Who has been your favorite professor and why?

I LOVED my KNH184 class with Dr. Berg. That class was one of my first Kinesiology courses, and Dr. Berg did a fabulous job introducing new topics and explaining things in a variety of ways. Also, we were still wearing masks when I took that course, and Dr. Berg ended up taking pictures of all of us (with consent) and taking our names and went home and memorized all of our names with our faces. Dr. Berg did a lot of small things that really added up to show his students that he cared not only about their learning but also about them as people.