Urban Cohort

Meet Jara

Meet Jara, a Public Health major (Health Policy and Administration concentration) major and Urban Cohort Participant, from Dunbar, West Virginia (South Charleston High School), and learn about her experience at Miami University.

Jara
Urban Cohort

Meet Jara

Favorite space on campus:

Upham Hall

Why Miami?

• The support faculty shows to their students
  • The close-knit student community
  • Liberal Arts aspect and small class sizes

What advice you would give to your first-year self?

Get involved in organizations that stretch you as a person.

Tell us something about your major:

I would say the Public Health major, specifically the Health Policy and Administration concentration really emphasizes the liberal arts education. I have learned things about different groups of people such as older adults and how the various identities they hold will intersect as they age as a result of the systems that the United States has in place. I think incoming students should know about all of the possibilities that the public health major holds.

Student organizations/activities:

I am a Resident Assistant on campus as well as a member of the Urban Cohort.

Internships/Field Experience:

I have participated in the Cleveland Winter Immersion Program through the Urban Cohort. I spent 3 weeks in Cleveland over J-Term and that experience really taught me about the importance of community when it comes to social justice and change. With my social justice minor I have read and talked a lot about social justice but it was so impactful to be a part of the processes for an extended period of time.

Who has been your favorite professor and why?

Dr. Karen Zaino. She was my professor for SJS 215 & 216 and I work with her as a TA now. She made her class a safe space to share my experiences from Miami and beyond while still working with me towards my social justice goals. That class is for Urban Cohort students and she also just helped foster a community that I value so greatly at Miami.