J-1 Scholar Invitation Process
Terms of J-1 Scholar Appointments
- The Office of the Provost provides the Visiting International Scholar access to University libraries with full privileges; it provides an assigned library carrel, when available, and/or space in the host department. The host department is encouraged to involve the Visiting International Scholar as much as possible in the life of the department.
- International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) issues the DS-2019 to Visiting International Scholars who are to be sponsored under Miami University’s J-1 Exchange Visitor Program. Those persons seeking to enter the U.S. or to remain in the U.S. in some other non-immigrant visa category will be advised of the appropriate visa documentation to request. Visiting International Scholars in J-1 status must check in with ISSS upon arrival, where a brief orientation to J-1 rules and regulations will be provided. As needed, it is expected that the host department will provide the Visiting International Scholar with an orientation to the University and to the Oxford community. Assistance will also be available in seeking long-term housing or in obtaining temporary accommodations until permanent housing can be located. Miami University is not responsible for providing housing on campus.
- Visiting International Scholars are required to provide their own medical insurance, if not a benefits-eligible Miami University employee. Information on available policies can be obtained from the ISSS office or by contacting international@MiamiOH.edu.
- Miami University accepts no liability for laboratory work engaged in by the Visiting International Scholar.
- The Visiting International Scholar should not expect to take on paid duties during his or her stay at Miami University beyond what is listed on his or her Miami University appointment letter. There is little likelihood that a paid position will be available. Visiting International Scholars in J-1 status do not have authorization to work off-campus.
- The Visiting International Scholar will notify the host department and ISSS if any family members will accompany him or her.
- The Visiting International Scholar is expected to comply with rules and regulations pertaining to Section 16: USE OF UNIVERSITY PROPERTY AND RESOURCES of the Miami University Policy and Information Manual.