Your Personal Information and Privacy Rights

How do I change my name?

Your academic record should always reflect your full legal name while in attendance at Miami University. Instances of when a change of name may be necessary are:

  • Marriage
  • Restoration of maiden name
  • Legal name change
  • Adoption

To change your name on your academic records, you are required to submit a Change of Name Request Form and provide legal documentation. Acceptable documentation is a copy of a marriage certificate or any court order legally changing the name.

How do I change my first name display in the Miami directory and on class photo rosters?

Miami students may elect a preferred name which allows you to decide how your name will be displayed in Miami systems. Preferred names are selected if you are generally known by a shortened name, your middle name, or other alternative from the legal name you provided to Miami. (Some systems will still use your legal name due to state or federal requirements.)

Here are the steps to take:

  1. Go to the Miami University Directory page.
  2. Select the “Login” link to the left of the page. Enter UserName and Password.
  3. Enter your name in the “Name” field and then select “Search” to the right of the page.
  4. Select the red box next to the correct name found in the search results.
  5. Next, select “MORE INFORMATION”.
  6. You will then select ” Edit Name Preferences”.
  7. Enter “Preferred First Name” as you would like displayed.
  8. If desired, enter your preferred “Personal Pronoun” preferred (note, this personal pronoun will only appear in the web directory).
  9. If desired, select the “Hide my middle name” checkbox.
  10. When you are finished with all editing, scroll down, and select “Save”.

How do I change my Social Security Number (SSN)?

To change your social security number, you are required to submit a written request along with a copy of your Social Security card. Requests can be mailed to:

One Stop
Campus Avenue Building
301 South Campus Ave.
Oxford, OH 45056

They can also be delivered in person to the One Stop in the Campus Avenue Building (CAB).

Requests for SSN changes should not be submitted via email.

How do I update my permanent address or permanent phone number?

To change your permanent mailing address and/or permanent phone number:

  1. Log in to BannerWeb using your Miami UniqueID and password.
  2. Select “Personal Information” from the main menu.
  3. Select “Update Address and Phone” from the menu.
  4. Follow the instructions on the page.

How do I update my off-campus school address, emergency contact, or cell phone number?

Students can update their off-campus school address on the Contact Information website. Students will be prompted to update this information at the start of each fall and spring semester. This address should only be provided/updated by current students living off-campus; this does not apply to students living in a residence hall or commuting from their permanent address.

ID Cards

The Miami University ID card is for students, faculty, staff, and community members. It is used for:

  • Access to residence halls and most administrative and academic buildings on campus
  • Purchases at campus locations including, but not limited to: the Shriver Center Bookstore, Rec Center Pro Shop, Shriver Center Box Office, and Goggin Ice Center
  • Meal plan purchases on the Oxford campus
  • Purchases at various food service locations on the Oxford campus as well as Hawk Haven on the Middletown campus
  • Copiers and printers on the Oxford, Middletown, and Hamilton campuses
  • Print Center on the Oxford Campus
  • On-campus laundry facilities
  • Vending on the Oxford and Middletown campuses
  • Paying for the parking garage on the Oxford campus
  • Online access to detailed account information at
  • The university is not responsible for damages resulting from the loss, theft, or misuse of the card. You should carry your ID card at all times. Unauthorized use of the card may result in criminal charges and university disciplinary action.

For more information about ID Cards, please visit Miami IDs.

UniqueIDs, Passwords, and Password Help


Every student, faculty and staff member are issued a UniqueID. The UniqueID is intended to be a single identifier for a person for the duration of their association with the University. UniqueIDs can be up to 8 characters in length. The normal makeup of a UniqueID is:

  • The first six characters of the last name (if the last name is less than six characters, the entire last name is used)
  • The first initial
  • The middle initial

For example, John Q. Public would have a UniqueID of:


Some UniqueIDs end in a number, rather than initials, because common last names and initials mean that some UniqueIDs are already in use.

Passwords and Password Help

MUnet passwords are used in conjunction with your UniqueID to access a variety of services at Miami, such as MyMiami and BannerWeb.

More information on UniqueIDs, passwords and password help »

How do I change my display name as it appears in Google (Docs and Calendar)?

If you have a Google+ account:
  1. In your Gmail account, click on your initials or image in the upper right corner.
  2. Click the Google Account button next to your information in the drop-down.
  3. Select the "Your personal info" link from the “Personal Info & Privacy” section.
  4. Click on your name.
  5. Click the pencil icon.
  6. Change your name.
  7. Click “Done.”

If you do not have a Google+ account:

  1. In your Gmail account, click on the Google apps menu.
  2. From the drop-down, select “Google+.”
  3. Click “Join Google+.”
  4. In the “Create your public Google+ profile,” type in your name as you want it to appear.
  5. Complete the form.
  6. Click “Create Profile.”

How do I restrict my directory information?

Federal law requires the following information be designated as Directory Information under FERPA (34.C.F.R. 99.1). FERPA permits the release of directory information without the student’s consent (34.C.F.R.99.31).

  1. Name, campus address, telephone listing, and campus email address;
  2. Place and date of birth;
  3. Major field(s) of study, including the college, division, department or program in which the student is enrolled;
  4. Enrollment status (undergraduate or graduate, full-time or part-time);
  5. Dates of attendance;
  6. Degrees, scholarships, honors, and awards, including President’s List, Dean’s List, honorary organizations and grade point average of students selected;
  7. Most recent educational institution attended;
  8. Photographic, video, or electronic images taken and maintained by the University;
  9. Participation in officially recognized student organizations, activities, and sports;
  10. Weight and height of members of athletic teams.
If you have a Google+ account:

If you do not want your directory information released you can restrict it by completing the Directory Restrict Form and submitting that form to the One Stop on or before July 15. Your notification to restrict your directory information will remain in effect until you notify the One Stop in writing that you wish to rescind restriction of your directory information.