Skip to Main Content

Application in U.S.

Eligible students may submit an application to USCIS to change status within the U.S. Change of status applications filed within the U.S. generally take a long time. Check current USCIS processing times. The applicant may not travel outside of the U.S. while the application is processing. Students who are currently in a status that does not allow study or does not allow full time study should consider the timing of their application before choosing this option. Additionally, ISSS advises that you maintain your previous status during this time period in order to best maintain eligibility for approval of your application.

  • Log in to InterLink and submit a “Change of Status” request.

Other possible application materials to USCIS may include:

  • Non-Refundable Government Application Fee: The online filing fee is $420 and the fee for filing by paper (mail) is $470. To verify the current fee amount, visit I-539, Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status. Personal checks or money orders are accepted and should be made payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. If you choose personal check, be prepared to ensure your account has sufficient funds for several weeks. If the check has an old address on it, cross it out and write your current address. Credit cards payments are also accepted and should be submitted by completing Form G-1450.
  • OPTIONAL Premium Processing Fee: $1,965. Guarantees that USCIS will take action on your application within 30 days of receiving a complete application. Please note that while you may opt for Premium Processing when you apply, you may also submit this request at any point while your application is pending. To add this application after your Change of Status request has already been submitted, log into the USCIS Portal, select "File a form online form" from the "My Account" pull-down menu, then select "I-907, Request for Premium Processing Service". Complete the application, make your payment of $1,965, and submit the request. If your application is complete at that time (including biometrics, if required), it will be processed within 30 days of your request.
    • Please note: If you submitted your I-539 application by mail, rather than through the USCIS portal, you may not submit an online Form I-907 but rather must file a paper Form I-907.
  • Form I-539
    • If there is a co-applicant included in the application, he/she must submit and sign a separate Form I-539A. Parents or guardians may sign on behalf of children under 14.
    • If you would like to file online, first carefully read the information provided by USCIS to check your eligibility.
  • Photocopy of all documents you hold in your current status
  • A photocopy of your current visa
  • A photocopy of your passport personal data page(s) (i.e., the page(s) with your photograph and the expiration date of your passport)
  • Copy of entry stamp in passport (make sure the immigration stamp is visible on copy) and electronic I-94 card information. Visit U.S. Customs and Border Protection to retrieve your electronic I-94 card number.
  • If currently a dependent, photocopies of your spouse/parent’s documents: I-94, passport pages (photograph and the expiration date of passport), visa, proof of status (such as the I-20, DS-2019, etc.)
  • Evidence of financial support (i.e., bank statement, assistantship offer letter, etc.)
  • Admission offer
  • SEVIS fee payment
  • Newly issued I-20 or DS-2019

In the event a change of status application is denied and the applicant is present in the U.S. without valid legal status, USCIS may issue a Notice to Appear (NTA). A Notice to Appear is a document that instructs an individual to appear before an immigration judge and is often the first step in removal from the United States. For further questions on NTAs and risk of removal, please consult with an immigration attorney.

International Students and Scholars

Sign-Up for Email Updates

Use the link below to sign up to receive emails from ISSS. Please note that if you are currently enrolled in Miami University courses as an international student or scholar, you will automatically be added to this list.

Sign up for Email Updates

Read Past Newsletters