- Read email. Typically, the ETBD department receives word of several internship opportunities each semester. These opportunities are shared with ETBD students by email, but there are not nearly enough for all students. Most students find their own internships.
- Search online. Major companies and organizations devote space on their websites to internship opportunities. Do not hesitate to contact a company that does not post internship information online. Some organizations may not have had interns before, but might welcome an inquiry from a person with the right skills.
- The Career Services Office has put together an extensive list of job and internship resources tailored specifically for ETBD students.
- Speak with friends and relatives about internship opportunities in their respective organizations.
- Speak with faculty members who know your work. They may not know of specific internship opportunities, but they may be able to advise you on your search.
- Because of Miami University's proximity to Cincinnati, ETBD has prepared a Guide to Cincinnati Internship Resources.
The best way to find an internship is to look for companies that are in areas that would work for you. Once you have a list of companies, check their websites for opportunities. Most companies do not really post internships as there is far more demand than supply.
Getting an internship (or a job) in the games industry is all about knowing people. Therefore, you want to try to start a dialogue with games companies and industry professionals as soon as you can. In particular, we recommend that you attend industry conferences (such as the GDC in San Francisco or GDEX in Columbus) and that you try to create connections over social media.
- Look for companies on GameDevMap or GameCareerGuide.
- To find game companies in Ohio, we recommend looking at the listings on ESA’s “Are We In Your State” website.
Local Game Companies
Smiling Cat Entertainment
MooseMouse Media Inc.
Max Gaming Technologies
Handelabra Studio LLC
J Lynn Entertainment
Monsters Unlimited LLC
Green Door Games
Jolly Crouton Media
Game Research and Immersive Design at Ohio University