Miami’s Professional Institute for Management Education (PRIME) is a four-week summer program designed to introduce non-business majors to fundamental concepts in business. Taught by faculty in the nationally-ranked Farmer School of Business, PRIME students will develop an integrated knowledge of how business works, strengthen their networking and career search skills, and apply these new skills while working on a project for a business client.
Online (first two weeks): 5/22 - 6/4
The online program offers much flexibility while retaining all of the hallmark features of Miami PRIME. You will be assigned a two hour time block that you will need to be available to meet with your professors, work with your teams, etc. There will be other work to do every day (outside of your assigned time block) including watching pre-recorded lectures, participating in discussion forums, and taking quizzes. However, you can do this on your own schedule. There will be a few other events requiring you to be present at a given time (e.g., resume consultations), but for most of them, you can sign up for a time that works around your schedule.
In-Person (second two weeks, Oxford campus): 6/5 - 6/16
The program will move to Oxford for the final two weeks. The in-person program will consist of daily class sessions, networking events (including a dinner), and a client project that will include a visit to and presentations in front of the client at the end of the program.
Upon completion, students will have earned 9 credit hours, a Thematic Sequence in Business (for Miami students), as well as the skills and confidence to be successful in your chosen field. This program has been designed for all liberal arts, education, science, and engineering students who do not have business foundation courses.
We know you are passionate about your field of study. Miami PRIME will combine that passion with the practical business skills needed to round out your college experience and prepare you for whatever career you choose.
Interested? Contact Jon Grenier, firstname.lastname@example.org about the possibility of submitting a late application!
When is Miami PRIME 2023?
Miami PRIME 2023 will take place from May 22 through June 16.
Program Focus Areas
Miami PRIME is designed to give you a solid framework to complement your degree and make you more valuable to a wide variety of organizations. Through an engaging mix of lectures, case studies, team projects, and activities, you will apply your knowledge to real world scenarios and learn how to work efficiently and effectively in teams.
- Accounting and Finance: How companies account for their dollars, how they allocate resources; how to understand financial documents, and how to plan and manage your own finances.
- Business Strategy: How a firm grows its business and why some are more successful than others.
- Economics: An overview of how competition and market forces affect the economy and the impact of business cycles and the monetary policy.
- Entrepreneurship: The principles and concepts associated with entrepreneurship in startup, social, creative and corporate ventures.
- Information Technology: How firms manage the information that provides the foundation for their strategy and decision making.
- Management and Leadership: Value-based leadership, the difference between managers and leaders, and the general management of an organization.
- Marketing: Understanding markets and consumer behavior.
- Supply Chain Management: How firms manage their distribution, sourcing, and operations.
- Workshop Project: Work closely with a client to solve a business problem or maximize a growth opportunity.
- Career Development: Resume consultations, mock interviews, and networking events