Miami University is dedicated to offering a wide variety of study abroad opportunities to meet the needs of our student population. We recognize the importance of policies that protect the safety and well-being of study abroad program participants, whether enrolled in a Miami faculty-led program, an exchange program, or directly enrolled in an institution or provider program abroad.
There is not a single piece of coverage that will envelop all contingencies, but Miami University has assembled a coordinated effort to prepare and protect students as they travel throughout the world.
In short, GeoBlue is supplemental health insurance that allows you to access GeoBlue case management, referrals, and get health care services abroad, from contracted providers, at no cost at the time of service. (Using non-network providers will require payment at the time of service, with reimbursement following claim filing.) GeoBlue also provides emergency evacuation coverage for political and natural disasters.
Miami University Access Code: CNX-4745
Use the Miami University access code for the contracted rate.
In the GeoBlue Purchase Portal, you can view the Miami University member guide to view contracted services, purchase coverage, and view additional travel health resources.
If you have a health issue, injury, or need to seek medical advice, call GeoBlue, collect, 24/7/365, and a medical professional will assist you. GeoBlue will help locate a doctor, dentist, or other medical professional and provide medical advice. Do not delay in calling, even if you cannot locate your policy number. GeoBlue can help you. If it is an emergency, get to a medical facility and then contact GeoBlue.
Contact the GeoBlue international medical community where you will be connected to English speaking medical and healthcare professional by calling 610-254-8771 or e-mailing email@example.com.
The GeoBlue website has a number of resources for preparing to travel abroad. Here you will find:
- Travel Safety Global Health Tour – an informative video, along with other short, informative videos. (Also found on YouTube - search “GeoBlue”).
- mPassport – a mobile health and safety app that you can put on your smart phone to provide easy access to information about doctors, hospitals, pharmacies and medications, as well as news alerts, specific to your travel location. (You can also find the apps by searching for GeoBlue or mPassport at the App Store.)
- Doctors, Hospitals and Pharmacies – search your destination for medical care.
- Health and Safety – location-specific health and safety profiles.
- Translation Guides – drug names, medical terms, and medical phrases in other languages.
- Featured Articles – travel health and special needs.
MU Membership Number: 11BCAS000010
The services provided by International SOS range from simple telephone advice from an expert in the field to full-scale medical and security evacuations. The International SOS network of multilingual specialists operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year from 28 Alarm Centers around the world.
Below are some key benefits to membership.
- Pre-departure preparation: By logging onto the International SOS website, you can sign up for health and security email alerts and review valuable country-specific information.
- While abroad: International SOS will help you locate a qualified health care provider, replace a prescription, or simply answer a general medical or safety/security concern.
- In an emergency: International SOS can ensure you get immediate care whether it requires closely monitoring your condition with local doctors, or evacuating in case of political unrest or disturbances abroad.
It is important to note that International SOS is not health insurance. This assistance program benefit provided by Miami University is designed to supplement and enhance your current health insurance with medical and security advice and services. It does not cover individual medical or evacuation expenses. Miami University therefore requires that all travelers on Miami-managed programs have their own medical, evacuation and travel insurance. Any charges incurred by Miami University for International SOS services not covered by existing insurance will be passed onto the individual.