In your second year, you’ll continue working on your Miami Plan and College Requirements, as well as digging deeper into your major/minor. Here are some resources that may help further define your academic success and/or career focus.
Identify undergraduate research opportunities:
- Contact your department for a list of research opportunities in your major.
- Identify your interests and contact faculty members with similar research interests.
Connect with the Center for Career Exploration and Success:
- Create an account and profile in Handshake to make the most of your career exploration process.
- Visit Programs & Events.
- Attend Career Fairs and Expos, where you can discuss full-time and internship positions with selected employers.
- Check out Internships to learn about the different types and how to set them up appropriately.
Join student organizations, honorary societies, and leadership programs that further develop specific skills and experiences:
Explore scholarships and fellowships:
- You may want to consider national scholarships and fellowships.
- To be competitive for one of the prestigious scholarships (e.g., Rhodes, Goldwater), you need to begin to prepare for the application process now. Many Miami students have been awarded prestigious scholarships and fellowships.
Consider study abroad programs: